View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 28, 2000, 05:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Re: Rut, be careful...

If that rubs them the wrong way, so be it. Assignors tell you flat out (at least where I am from) that officials could afford to lose weight. At a HS and college evaluation camp, the evaluators told several people to lose 10 pounds or more. I was at an association meeting, and where an assignor for college told the entire room, that certain individuals that would try to go to his camp this upcoming summer, needed to lose weight if they wanted to do college games for him.

The reality we are judged on our apperance, that is a fact. Coaches and players judge us on how much we weigh and other features. I wore my glasses one time for an evaluation session I had with one assignor, and he flat out asked me did I have contacts. Now ask me if I ever have my glasses on during a game?

I say this not to offend anyone, but the beer belly look will hurt you. I may not stay in the gym year round, but with all my sports that I officiate and the working out I do during some off time is vital to the way I look. And I am still not satified with everything and the way I look (this really is not about officiating). But if you look like you cannot keep up, no matter how good your calls are, it will be assumed that you were not in position or had trouble to get into position. That is just the facts, and aske any college assignor, and they will tell you much of the same.

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I am very slim and athletic and it has seemed to help me. In all my evaluations in camp, I get complemented about my look. I am one of the few officials that do not have a bear belly or look like they struggle to get up and down the court.
Rut,

The original question was "how has your appearance helped or hurt YOU?". Your last comment about "other officials" may rub some people wrong. Just an observation.