View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 29, 2000, 03:40am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Re: glad you asked...

If you have known anything about me, I have no desire to do the NBA or WNBA. What I am talking about, believe it or not is HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL!!!!! Many of the assignors that I come in contact with are college officials and assignors themselves. They hold some of the same values that they hold at the college level. The camps that I am telling you about are strictly HS level camps. I am in no way trying to rub that in your face, personally I really do not care, I am telling you what the powers that be want and that was the question that was asked. "How much has your appearance hurt you, or helped you as an referee?" If that is the question that was asked, then I am telling you and others that it helped me.

Believe it or not, coaches have much to do with this. They ask the assignors to find what is acceptable, and they do not want officials that have bellys sticking way out officiating their games. They do not want someone that is having trouble following the play or keeping up. Now that might hurt some feelings, but it is the truth. And if you are one of those people, then maybe you need to evaluate what kind of shape that you are in, because believe it or not, it does make a difference.

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
My point was...

...it seemed that you were putting others down to make yourself appear better. I'm sure you are slim and I'm sure you are athletic, I don't doubt that at all. But saying that "you are one of the few officials that do not have a beer belly or look like they struggle to get up and down the court" was a poor choice of words. Would you stand in front of your peers, your friends, your co-officials and say this?

Not everyone desires to work the NBA/WNBA. They realize they'll never be slim or athletic. A lot of guys/gals officiate to "give something back" or help out a kid's league.

Be proud of your conditioning. It is a great quality to have, but try to shy away from the comments that may offend others.

Now gimme some love, JR