The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Sure they're not just cold?
Yup - few years back the big thing was to burn stuff during spring weekend (yes, CT has the season of spring) temperatures would be pretty warm during most of it.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Despicable

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

The UConn women's program is the best women's program in the country. The men's program, while very good, has not yet reached that pinnacle. It can be compared to UCLA during LewAlcindor's freshman year. While the varsity won the national championship, they were the second best team on campus, as Alcindor and his teammates routinely beat the upperclassmen.

So you get over it. [/B]
Two national championships in the past five years and the mens program has not yet reached the pinnacle because
you
don't think so. Well, if you don't approve of it, maybe we should give back the trophies.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 07:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: WTF?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
Quote:
Only in Connecticut could a group of men win a National Championship and still not be the best program on campus.
What a tormented mind, you'd better seek professional help before you slit your wrists.
Huh? Get over what?

The UConn women's program is the best women's program in the country. The men's program, while very good, has not yet reached that pinnacle. It can be compared to UCLA during LewAlcindor's freshman year. While the varsity won the national championship, they were the second best team on campus, as Alcindor and his teammates routinely beat the upperclassmen.

So you get over it.
Sure, right now. But it runs in cycles. Bye bye to Taurasi and hello to one of the best recruiting classes ever. In Tennessee. Part of me hopes that these two teams end up in the title game for the next 20 seasons. At least these two schools have always supported women's hoops.

[Edited by BBall_Junkie on Apr 7th, 2004 at 08:52 AM]
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: WTF?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
At least these two schools have always supported women's hoops.
There's a reason why the only WNBA team not linked to an NBA franchise is in Connecticut . . .
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Despicable

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
Quote:

So you get over it.
Two national championships in the past five years and the mens program has not yet reached the pinnacle because
you
don't think so. Well, if you don't approve of it, maybe we should give back the trophies. [/B]
First, get you numbers straight. This is the second title in 6 seasons.

Second, while UConn had the best team this season, the program is NOT the best basketball men's program in the country. And yes, that's my opinion and it's shared by a great many others.

Third, the program has not reached the elite status that the women's program has.

Fourth, I couldn't care less what they do with their trophies. But they might sell well on eBay.

Fifth, you're too easy.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Apr 7th, 2004 at 06:10 PM]
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 02:34pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

With all due respect, the language that you used in previous posts was not simply "razzing".

If Brendan hadn't deleted the posts I can assure you that I would have.

- Brad
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

TH,

I am all for the razzing and I have enjoyed this aspect of the forum for years. That is why, I stated" lets get back to ..... and the occasional fun poking and ribbing we give each other from time to time."

However, the direction the thread was heading was not good (flame war regarding the orginal post) as well as the language used in the name calling (as Brad pointed out) lead me to believe things were personal. That is what we are trying to avoid. I simply deleted the name calling only and left every bit of original posts content. The thread has since gone back to a "friendly argument" regarding basketball conferences and who is better, etc, etc. That's perfect and I enjoy the read myself.

I will be happy to talk about it further with you, if I had misunderstood the intent of your posts. Please email me if you would like.

Regards,

Brendan
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Despicable

"First, get you numbers straight. This is the second title in 6 seasons."

Well, actually, he said "years." You said "seasons." It's within 5 days or so of having happened twice in five years.

That reason that's an interesting point to me is that this is two championships with two entirely different teams, but with only a year or so between groups. I read that virtually every player who has played at Connecticut since 1997 has won a national championship. (There were a couple of transfers, and one four year player, Tony Robertson, who played from 2000-2003.)

I do think it's very impressive what Connecticut has done. I've seen Storrs, of which someone very funny (Jerry West?) said, "they used to call it store until they build a second one." It's a very unlikely place to be a basketball hotbed and I think that's what makes it a fun story that catching a little more national attention than usual, notwithstanding the lopsidedness of of the final. (Which very few here have mentioned, but looked to me to be a brilliantly called game, closing the door on all the negativity in the press.)
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Despicable

Quote:
Originally posted by rulesmaven

I do think it's very impressive what Connecticut has done. I've seen Storrs, of which someone very funny (Jerry West?) said, "they used to call it store until they build a second one."
That's just about right.

What's always a shock to me is that they overturn cars - there are far more cows in the area surrounding the school.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 04:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

But you can get in trouble for lighting cows on fire.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
And you can't get in trouble for lighting cars on fire?

Here in Texas, we have a lot of cows and a lot of cars and lighting either of them on fire is illegal.

Different values in Conneticut I guess
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 04:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by BBall_Junkie
Here in Texas, ....
Different values in Conneticut I guess
Woohoo! I think we can safely give out the prize for understatement of the year, even though it's barely April.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In Connecticut? We have an oversupply!
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Tony,

Not so much the word (butthead) that was used, I wouldn't normally edit that out, just the way it was used
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 05:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
In Connecticut? We have an oversupply!
You don't have an oversupply of "cows" in Connecticut, you have an oversupply of "bull".