The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Dan shoulda called this "Another thread down the toilet".
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

The last word

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
so what's your point.
The last word. The answer to the question that you have difficulty answering concerning Roy Williams is that he has never won a national championship.(You must think national championships come easy) What you need to understand is that Jim Calhoun with his two national championships has established himself and his program in the elite status in this country and on the same level as the legendary Dean Smith and is entitled to all the respect that goes with it. End of story.

Furthermore, when the ACC viciously attacked the Big East Conference taking a national championship program team from their conference (shame on the ACC), you had this cavalier attitude about it. You responded by denigrating the Big East for going to another conference to recruit teams to fill the void left by the team(s)leaving. In all honesty, what would you expect them to do? Nevermind, that is a no brainer.

Then, when UConn crushed Georgia Tech (I actually felt bad for GT) in the national championship game instead of congratulating the winner(you make some bizarre comparison of UConn to a team that played almost 40 years ago and that you actually picked UConn in your Yahoo! something)you respond by telling whoever will listen that the best conference in the country is the ACC. Did anyone care? (All we want to know is who is the national champions.) You never once mentioned that one of Georgia Tech key players transferred this year to UConn and practiced with the team all season so he could play next year in the Big East. You also failed to mention how upset Gary Williams was when he lost a prized recruit who is one of the top players in the country, to UConn's recruiting. If as you believe the Big East is not an elite program then why are these players leaving the ACC (or not joining) and going to the Big East? I realize three championships in six years doesn't mean anylot to some people-in particular two championship years in a row-but it sure means something to those players!

Finally, you keep refering to a meaningless game played last January (it must make you feel good) as somehow that will establish UNC's superiority over UConn-how childish. I guess that's what you do if you haven't won a national championship in eleven (11) years. If UConn were to play UNC on a neutral court today(I only mention that because of a blowout win UConn had over UNC at Gampel Pavilion), who do you think would be favored? I know, I know, why do I even ask, I already know your "opinion". The professionals (the people in the know) would favor 2Conn-huge. Those are my points. The last word.
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 06:11am
In Memoriam

I think that UConn sucks too, btw. You got lucky.
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 07:32am
In Memoriam

After a week, I forget who the National champion, for an evening, was.
mick
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down I would be remiss if I didn't respond to this latest reply.

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
What you need to understand is that Jim Calhoun with his two national championships has established himself and his program in the elite status in this country and on the same level as the legendary Dean Smith and is entitled to all the respect that goes with it.
You're clueless.

No disrespect intended to Jim Calhoun but he isn't yet close to being the coach that Dean Smith was.
He may one day be in the class of Wooden, Smith, Knight, Rupp, and Kryzewski, to name a few but not yet.
Jim Calhoun would tell you the same thing.

There's a lot more to being a truly great coach than just winning two national championships.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Apr 10th, 2004 at 12:56 PM]
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 09:05am
In Memoriam

The TarHeels suck too.
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

You should hush or I'll have to tattle. Richard Cranium!
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 12:22pm
In Memoriam

Just trying to stay busy until Judge shows up again.
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

And don't forget Lefty Driesell (Davidson, Maryland), Hank Iba (Oklahoma State), Phog Allen (Kansas), Ray Meyer (DePaul), Eddie Sutton (Creighton, Arkansas, Kentucky, Oklahoma State), Denny Crum (Louisville) and Jim Boeheim (Syracuse).

Some stats:
Most career wins - Dean Smith (879)
Best win % - Rupp (82.2%)
Avg wins per season - Dean Smith (24.4)

I've got Dean Smith as the best of all time, not just statisically, but innovatively, he was the best. Iba, Allen, Rupp and Wooden are also up there for their strategic contibutions to the game.