LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 10:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

http://tinyurl.com/2beuo

--Rich
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

I read the article - shocking.

It worries me that there is always the possibility that the same thing could happen to me. I blame the AD for not stopping this from happening. I blame the prosecutor for not prosecuting. This game that I love so much is being dirtied by a few violent fans that are living their lives vicariously through their kids athletic endeavors.

Let's hurt fans like that in the best way. Sue them blue. Do it legally. Officials organizations should take them to civil court. Hurt them in their pockets. The schools should severely admonish such behavior. Ban people like that from games. I'm sure we can really respond to acts like this. No mas!

Don't get mad...get even.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
I agree that there need to be consequences, I disagree about revenge. "An eye for an eye, and the whole world ends up blind." What needs to happen to solve the problem? Our entire country needs to learn the mantra, "Maybe someone else knows more than I do." This isn't just for sports officials to be concerned about. It's for policemen, government workers, doctors, lawyers, and anyone else who must exercise authority over us regular folks based on a body of knowledge and experience that us regualr folks don't have any comprehension of. There's a time to stand up against authority when it is used improperly, but there's also a time to submit to authority, even when I don't understand or agree. And our whole country could use a good anger managment seminar. I'd wager that all of these assaults grow out of unrealistic expectations that are based on faulty perceptions of reality. And that, my friends, is a recipe for Rollin' Rage.

How do we get folks to change? (1) We start by setting the example. Outside of sports, when we find ourselves on the short end of the stick, we need to see a larger point of view, adjust our expectations, problem solve, and when appropriate, submit to reality. (2)We can also find ways to talk others out of their rage-tendencies. "Yea, it's a long line, but the checker is doing the best she can." "I know. I wish I hadn't waited until Dec 24 to do my Christmas shopping too. Know any good elephant jokes?" so forth and so on. (3) We can see to it that the outbursts of violence such as this article talks about are dealt with appropriate in the public view. We need to find ways to project a mature detachment as a desireable attitude. We need to hold these people up, not as monsters, but at pathetic creatures who need our sympathy not our vengenance. (4) at the same time, we need to see to it that there are consequences and that they are certain. Civil suit seems completely reasonable, and it should encompass both compensatory and punitive damages. And it should not take too long. (5) and we need to find ways to REQUIRE the prosecutor to act. In Oregon, we have one of those laws that requires conviction, and imposes mandatory sentence, on people convicted of assaulting an official.

Whew! I guess that's enough lecture for one day.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
In Oregon, we have one of those laws that requires conviction...
Sheesh, I thought NYC was tough on crime!

I hope you meant to write "requires prosecution."
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 06:00am
Official Forum Member

I suppose we in N.Z. are pretty lucky in this respect. We are isolated in the south pacific, have a population of 4 million, our police do not carry guns and they still have respect for the sportspeople in uniform.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 07:30am
Ref Ump Welsch

Nevadaref, I think he wrote it right. Some states actually require a conviction when it comes to assaulting a sports official. Here in Nebraska, it's required to prosecute, and if convicted, there MUST be jail time of some kind, and MUST be a fine of some kind, and MUST be probation of some kind. It's not up to the judge to say, oh, I'll just give ya day in jail, that's all. The men and women in black robes must have all 3 in their sentences or face disciplinary proceedings with the state supreme court. Failure of a prosecutor to prosecute can lead to disciplinary action with the bar association, which ironically is controlled by the supreme court. Prosecutors also face the possibility of a backlash that can get them recalled from office or booted out in the next election. Accountability is a key word in Nebraska.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 08:09am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

--Rich
Thanks, Rich.
Scarey!
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 08:31am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

From Dakota on the Softball board:

assault and battery
n. the combination of the two crimes of threat (assault) and actual beating (battery). They are both also intentional civil wrongs for which the party attacked may file a suit for damages.

assault
1) v. the threat or attempt to strike another, whether successful or not, provided the target is aware of the danger. The assaulter must be reasonably capable of carrying through the attack. In some states if the assault is with a deadly weapon (such as sniping with a rifle), the intended victim does not need to know of the peril. Other state laws distinguish between different degrees (first or second) of assault depending on whether there is actual hitting, injury or just a threat. "Aggravated assault" is an attack connected with the commission of another crime, such as beating a clerk during a robbery or a particularly vicious attack. 2) n. the act of committing an assault, as in "there was an assault down on Third Avenue." Assault is both a criminal wrong, for which one may be charged and tried, and civil wrong for which the target may sue for damages due to the assault, including for mental distress.

Law.com dictionary
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
Nevadaref, I think he wrote it right. Some states actually require a conviction when it comes to assaulting a sports official.
What she meant was to require prosecution, and if it meets the standards for assault, to require conviction of the crime of "assaulting a sports official", which means a stricter list of required punishments.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

--Rich
Sigh.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 09:36am
Ref Ump Welsch

Thanks rainmaker, sounds similar to what we have in Nebraska, although how a conviction is gotten can be up to the judge or jury, depending on the defendant's wishes. That's scary as hell if it comes to a jury. Imagine a bunch of ref haters on that thing!
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
I agree that there need to be consequences, I disagree about revenge. "An eye for an eye, and the whole world ends up blind." What needs to happen to solve the problem? Our entire country needs to learn the mantra, "Maybe someone else knows more than I do." This isn't just for sports officials to be concerned about. It's for policemen, government workers, doctors, lawyers, and anyone else who must exercise authority over us regular folks based on a body of knowledge and experience that us regualr folks don't have any comprehension of. There's a time to stand up against authority when it is used improperly, but there's also a time to submit to authority, even when I don't understand or agree. And our whole country could use a good anger managment seminar. I'd wager that all of these assaults grow out of unrealistic expectations that are based on faulty perceptions of reality. And that, my friends, is a recipe for Rollin' Rage.

How do we get folks to change? (1) We start by setting the example. Outside of sports, when we find ourselves on the short end of the stick, we need to see a larger point of view, adjust our expectations, problem solve, and when appropriate, submit to reality. (2)We can also find ways to talk others out of their rage-tendencies. "Yea, it's a long line, but the checker is doing the best she can." "I know. I wish I hadn't waited until Dec 24 to do my Christmas shopping too. Know any good elephant jokes?" so forth and so on. (3) We can see to it that the outbursts of violence such as this article talks about are dealt with appropriate in the public view. We need to find ways to project a mature detachment as a desireable attitude. We need to hold these people up, not as monsters, but at pathetic creatures who need our sympathy not our vengenance. (4) at the same time, we need to see to it that there are consequences and that they are certain. Civil suit seems completely reasonable, and it should encompass both compensatory and punitive damages. And it should not take too long. (5) and we need to find ways to REQUIRE the prosecutor to act. In Oregon, we have one of those laws that requires conviction, and imposes mandatory sentence, on people convicted of assaulting an official.

I put your very thoughtful and well written post in a small pot & let it boil for 20 minutes.

Here's what was left:

God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:

I put your very thoughtful and well written post in a small pot & let it boil for 20 minutes.

Here's what was left:

Are you saying that refs need to adopt that, or fans/coaches/players/announcers/sportswriters?
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:

Here's what was left:

Are you saying that refs need to adopt that, or
fans/coaches/players/announcers/sportswriters?
Yes.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Exclamation Make sure...

everyone reads "the rest of the story" straight from the Helena Paper:

"Prosecutor considering charges over fight"

By CAROLYNN BRIGHT - IR Staff Writer - 03/23/04

It wasn't all fun and games at last weekend's 13th annual Swish tournament - but sometimes that's what happens when grownups get involved.

City Prosecutor Bob Wood is evaluating whether to file criminal charges against a tournament referee and a scorekeeper who allegedly broke into a fistfight as a result of a dispute over the officiating of one of the youth basketball games.

Wood said he likely will make a decision today, once he has an opportunity to review written statements from the alleged participants in the fracas.

According to Helena Police Chief Troy McGee, officers were called to the YMCA gymnasium at about 5 p.m. Saturday after tournament spectators reported a fight.

When police arrived at the scene, they found the referee, bleeding from a cut near his right eye.

McGee said the referee told officers that several of the spectators disagreed, loudly, with several calls he made during one of the games.

At the end of the game, he made his way to the score table to wrap up some necessary paperwork, and the scorekeeper seated there allegedly voiced his own concerns with the referee's officiating.

According to McGee, the referee said he was afraid the scorekeeper was going to assault him, so he took the pre-emptive measure of shoving the scorekeeper.

The scorekeeper allegedly responded by punching the referee.

Ninety-four teams from across the state, comprised of fifth- through eighth-graders, participated in the event.

We ought to learn a lesson here. Do NOT be the one to start anything! If someone complains about our refereeing, WALK AWAY! If this official walks away, I bet nothing happens!