View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Despicable

"First, get you numbers straight. This is the second title in 6 seasons."

Well, actually, he said "years." You said "seasons." It's within 5 days or so of having happened twice in five years.

That reason that's an interesting point to me is that this is two championships with two entirely different teams, but with only a year or so between groups. I read that virtually every player who has played at Connecticut since 1997 has won a national championship. (There were a couple of transfers, and one four year player, Tony Robertson, who played from 2000-2003.)

I do think it's very impressive what Connecticut has done. I've seen Storrs, of which someone very funny (Jerry West?) said, "they used to call it store until they build a second one." It's a very unlikely place to be a basketball hotbed and I think that's what makes it a fun story that catching a little more national attention than usual, notwithstanding the lopsidedness of of the final. (Which very few here have mentioned, but looked to me to be a brilliantly called game, closing the door on all the negativity in the press.)