The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
It was noted on the show that the girls had done better than the boys in the 3 pt contest. They should make that contest intra-gender.
Go, CJ!

Unfortunately, she got Dextered by having to do two rounds back-to-back. Shoulda won the damn thing.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

I understand that Parker made her dunks and the guys missed theirs. I understand that is why she won. I heard from somewhere that she was using a 28.5 inch ball. When you do a windmill or some other type of fancy dunk, and the ball hits the back of the rim, there is a reason why it hit there. It is because you could not hold on to the ball long enough. When you dunk a basketball, you jump with your hand under the ball. But when it comes time to throw it through the rim, you must flip your hand so it is on top of the ball. Now if your hand can not hold the ball, that is how it hits the back of the rim. Hold you hand so the palm is facing up, and pretend there is a ball in your hand. Now you are at the rim, you must flip your hand over in order to throw it down. Flip your hand palm down. Now if you were not able to palm the ball when you flipped your hand, where would the ball have gone? It would have hit the back of the rim. Exactly where many of the men's dunks hit. I don't have a problem with men cometing when women, but they should be on a level playing field.

So Mark Dexter wants to see the 3 point contest with men and women. Ok well that sounds fine. Ohh hold on. Sudden rule change for next year. Women are moving their three point line in to 18 feet. Ok well that is fine. Guys can shoot from 19'9" and women from 18'. I mean that is what they do in their games, so why should it be any different in this competition?

In order for it to be fair everything must be the same for everyone. The isn't the PGA and Casey Martin. People should not have things easier than their opponents.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

This isn't even basketball - it is a show contest. To insist on some integrity in the rules on a slam dunk competition is ridiculous. You are right - this isn't the PGA (which tried to prevent Martin from using a cart). The PGA insists on a very rigid set of rules. Slam dunk competitions' only rule is entertain the crowd.

By the way, where did you hear that the 3 point line is moving in- I hadn't heard this and can't fathom why it would.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
This isn't even basketball - it is a show contest. To insist on some integrity in the rules on a slam dunk competition is ridiculous.
Thanks, Coach, that was my point in the other thread as well. There's just nothing to get worked up about here.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
This isn't even basketball - it is a show contest. To insist on some integrity in the rules on a slam dunk competition is ridiculous.
Thanks, Coach, that was my point in the other thread as well. There's just nothing to get worked up about here.
I should have pointed out that I am still upset about the X-Games a couple of years ago where they had the best trick competition. The competition had a time limit, but everybody kept sceaming for Tony Hawk to do a 900. He didn't get it done in the time limit, but they kept letting him try it til he did it. That was so wrong. The PGA would never have done that either.

I just get so frustrated with the lack of structure in these trick contests. I think we need an official rules interpreter to get involved and straighten this stuff out.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 04:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Coach, if the practitioners of a sport don't want that kind of structure, they shouldn't have it. In my eyes, it will diminish the quality of their sport, and I think that's the case for most mainstream sports fans. However, for 20 somethings (my age group for another few weeks) who really can't handle authority (not my peer group), strict rules would be an awful subtraction from the appeal. It puts this stuff in the same category as pro-wrestling.

Adam
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Talking OOPs - forgot the smilies

Don't take that last post as serious - these contests have everything they want and need.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

By the way, where did you hear that the 3 point line is moving in- I hadn't heard this and can't fathom why it would.
I did not hear that it was being moved. It was just a hypothetical situation.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 04:44am
Official Forum Member

Well this wasn't a hypothetical dunk contest. And they played it how they wanted to play it. And they scored it how they wanted to score it.And if they want to have a 3 point contest where men shoot from 50 feet and women from 40, they'll do it, and people will pay to see it and athletes will compete. Don't like it, don't watch it. It's not sports, it's entertainment.

By the way, the year that Spud Webb won the NBA slam dunk competition, he did so in part because he was 5'7" and people were amazed he could dunk. I don't remember who lost, but maybe they should all file a formal protest. You shouldn't qualify for bonus points just because people are amazed that you can dunk. We need a new rule I guess
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

I don't really want to stir up this pot again, but I was reading some "back issues" of The Sports Guy on ESPN's Page 2. Here's his thoughts. Kind of condescending, but I thought it was funny enough to share:

Quote:
I thought it was a nice moment when the girl won the high school slam dunk contest last week. I really did. It reminded me of the Simmons Family Softball Game back in the early '90s, when my cousin Carrie always insisted on playing even though she was a little kid, so we would let her swing the bat and make contact, and then my Dad would throw the ball over my Uncle Don's head so Carrie could get on first base, and she would think she got a legitimate single. She was like eight.

The point is, you need to do these things sometimes. And there are people out there who apparently need to believe that a woman can win a slam dunk contest. So let's give this to them. Join me as we collectively throw the slam dunk trophy over my Uncle Don's head and allow Candace Parker to reach first base. Nice hit.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I don't really want to stir up this pot again, but I was reading some "back issues" of The Sports Guy on ESPN's Page 2. Here's his thoughts. Kind of condescending, but I thought it was funny enough to share:

Quote:
Join me as we collectively throw the slam dunk trophy over my Uncle Don's head and allow Candace Parker to reach first base. Nice hit.
That's not condescending, it's sour grapes.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
That's not condescending, it's sour grapes.
You think so? I don't get that vibe. Maybe I'm transferring my own feelings onto the article, but I think it sounds more like "who really cares?"
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

rainmaker,

You are unbelievably biased. Nobody is jealous over a couple of the most basic dunks that have ever been done. If Candace Parker is such a spectacular dunker than I'm sure she'll be playing in the NBA(no W)in a few years like some of the guys she beat will, because she's that good. Do you now see how biased and wrong your point of view is on this issue.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

muresan
Where does rainmaker ever suggest that Parker is a superior player, or even dunker, when compared to the boys HS all stars? that is the only argument you make here - she is wrong because the boys will be better ballplayers. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't argue that Parker will be in the NBA or beat any of the boys all-stars in one-on-one.

Rainmaker has said that comments like you made in another thread, such as girls shouldn't do "boys" sports, have no basis. I agree with her, as do many others. She has said that whining about a dunk contest when a girl wins is sour grapes. I also agree - the dunk contest is without any standards for judging. The judges in this contest decided that a girl making three straight unspectacular dunks was superior to a boy making and missing some spectacular dunks. The crowd was entertained, which is the main purpose of a dunk contest, not to see who will be the superior NBA player. Whining about the result, like you continue to do, makes rainmakers case more solid. It's actually kind of funny that you can't understand this.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 10:41am
Do not give a damn!!

I have a great Candance Parker story.

As I have said, I live about less than 2 miles from Naperville. I live about 5 miles from the high school she attended. My Official's Association Banquet was Friday Night and her coach was a speaker at the banquet. Our association always invites Chicago area State Champions Coaches to our Banquet, just to get their perspective on their accomplishment and usually they make commments about officiating and the job that we do, which is very positive of course.

He told this story about something that happen at the McDonald's All-American Dunk Contest. He said that Barry Sanders was trying to get her autograph and some dope (my words not his) stopped Barry, not knowing who he was and said, "Ms Parker has to go." So someone from McDonald's did not realize that one of the histories most successful NFL players was trying to get Candance's autograph.

But from all accounts, Candance is very down to earth. She does not seek attention or publicity. In that same Association, we have an official whose daughter has known Candance from when they were little. His daughter is also a D1 player going to the University of Iowa, but lives in a adjacent community to Naperville. The two girls have played on the same AAU team for years and are very close. I have been hearing stories from about Candance from this parent for years. And it appears that this child is every bit the good and respectful young adult.

So we can talk about how great a player she is or is going to be, I just wish the best for here because he has been raised the right way.

ONE MORE STORY!!!

I almost forgot what her coach told this story.

Candance has officiated some in her lifetime. Not sure what level this was, but something during the summer or spring. Candance calls a foul (she was doing some boy's game) and one of the players did not like the call she made. Then this player said to her, "you should stick to playing." Just shows not matter what we have done, we still get the same respect.

Peace