View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach

My freshman girls AAU team scrimmaged an 8-9th grade boys AAU team yesterday. They had a 5'10" white guy who was slamming before the scrimmage (white men CAN dunk ), and several taller kids who could slam. My 5'10" player doesn't even think about dunking, which really means she won't play the game in the air like the boys.
Are you saying that you have a girl who is a high school freshman, who is 5'10", and who is capable of dunking in a game, but does not do it becuase she never thought of it. Unless you have some sort of super awesome player here, I woould assume the reason she is not dunking is not because she never thought about it.
Clearly she cannot do it. But she doesn't do the things that boys who dream of dunking do, like see how high she can sky, go after the rim, etc. We did that as boys all along, and at 5'7" I was proud to be able to touch rim in HS. Girls don't do those kind of things, but I think they would if they saw other girls dunking - and the number of dunkers would rise, jumping would improve, etc.