View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach

My freshman girls AAU team scrimmaged an 8-9th grade boys AAU team yesterday. They had a 5'10" white guy who was slamming before the scrimmage (white men CAN dunk ), and several taller kids who could slam. My 5'10" player doesn't even think about dunking, which really means she won't play the game in the air like the boys. The boys executed a lot of plays that my girls have never tried. some of it is BS and causes their coach to go ballistic, but some of it is very useful for creating shots against tough defense.

So I think it is a big deal that a girl dunks and gets publicity, because it may lead to girls re-thinking how they approach the game. But I also think it is a bit overdone. If it leads to a lot of jumping and dunking, I think it will improve the girls game.
Are you saying that you have a girl who is a high school freshman, who is 5'10", and who is capable of dunking in a game, but does not do it becuase she never thought of it. Unless you have some sort of super awesome player here, I woould assume the reason she is not dunking is not because she never thought about it. My guess would be because she can not do it. I know many a 5'10", even 6'3" men who can not dunk.