The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

I'm just curious who is reading and replying on this board. Are there any guys that read and add comments that are actually working these big time college games, or maybe even some NBA refs ?

Not really looking for everyone to identify themselves by name. Just maybe your forum name and brief history of what you work. Might help in really finding out who's been in the wars.. and who is commenting more as an observer.

Just in general.. who is in here ??
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Is it me or are you awful nosy?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Laughin..

Not really...

Don't want names.. as you should have read..

Just curious... maybe with some background info.. we could decide who is F O S***
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 02:16pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by iamaref
Laughin..

Not really...

Don't want names.. as you should have read..

Just curious... maybe with some background info.. we could decide who is F O S***
I am.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 02:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Wouldn't matter, since anyone could make up tons of background info. Resumes here are worth the paper you read them on.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

True..
Well it's out there.. if anyone wants to participate..
Like i said.. just curious.
Didn't start this thread to debate whethere someone should or should not participate..
Thanks
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 03:07pm
In Memoriam

Know what? It don't really matter what level you're working at here. It's a communist forum. Everybody's equal. I've read posts on here from relatively new or supposedly low-level officials that were informative, thought-provoking, and also completely right on, imo. And yes, I'll admit that I learned something new from them. I've also read posts from guys who have represented themselves to be high-level, experienced officials, and I felt like kicking my computer screen in after I read them- because I disagreed with them so much. Also, never, ever think that high school officials automatically rank below college or pro officials. There are some great, great officials in the high school ranks that have no interest in doing anything higher due to job or family committments. I just take the posts here as I personally find them, answer questions if I can, learn where I can (and believe me, I learn reading posts here. There's some really sharp dudes posting here- from ALL levels) and try to have a little fun at the same time.

My 2 cents.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
There have been refs on here in the past who worked the WNBA. I don't know if there are any right now. One who used to be on here fairly regularly is working in the NBDL this year. I saw his name in a certain unnamed publication. I don't remember any NBA officials, but my guess would be they don't have time. Several D1 officials here, off and on in the past.

And what Jurassic says about great high school officials is true. There are a lot of great ones out there, and some of them post on this board.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iamaref
... we could decide who is F O S***
Oh, I could make a list!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I saw his name in a certain unnamed publication.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Like Jurassic said, it doesn't really matter. Anyone can claim anything. I do think, however, that Jurassic Referee worked the 1923 and 1927 college championship games; wasn't the big game the NIT championship at that time?

I don't know that I've ever made any statement about what level I work or don't work. I don't particularly care to. I'd rather be judged from my actual contributions than an, a best, inaccurate label.

In the end, it doesn't really matter what I or anyone else works. Some excellent officials don't have the flexibility in their personal schedules or the desire to pursue a D1 schedule. Also, some people are better teachers that practitioners. There can be some people who don't actually call a good game that have a lot to offer is specific areas.

There are also some here who overstate their abilties and also some who understate them. You can tell who is who after reading a little bit. There are some big chest thumpers and some pretty humble people too. Just stick around and you'll see who's blowing smoke versus who's talking straight.

There are certainly some who, when they post, I've come to trust while there are others that I'd just as soon have a killfile for (they occassionally offer something interesting but it's mostly noise.)

Additionally, there are many people who may only read the forum but never post and never even create an account.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 06:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
I do think, however, that Jurassic Referee worked the 1923 and 1927 college championship games; wasn't the big game the NIT championship at that time?

Nah, I wasn't good enough to do those games. Watched 'em on the radio, though.

The winner of the NIT was regarded as the de facto National Champion right into the '50s. If I remember right, they played the tournaments after each other for a while, and some teams got invited to both. I think the CCNY national championship team from around 1951 won both tournaments. CCNY later had that national championship taken away because of a betting scandal, and they actually dropped their varsity program because of it. A year or two after that, Kentucky got nailed big time in a betting scandal too( around 1954, I think). Both CCNY and Kentucky had some great players banned for life- so they couldn't go to the NBA. That was about the time that the NIT began to lose it's lustre, and the NCAA started to grow in prominence until it was recognized as officialy being for the national championship. Just history, off the top of my head, for anybody interested.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

I'd have to say that Camron is pretty much on the money here. You cannot equate the level a person works with whether he/she is FOS.

I've been hanging out here for a little more than a year now. I have a pretty good feel for who is the real deal and who is just talking a good game. It's not hard to get that.

On the other hand, even some of the real deal folks occassionally get out there a bit. And, I have learned things from folks whom I prefer to ignore most of the time.

There are folks here who are rules gurus, folks who understand the game incredibly well, folks with superb judgement, folks who know mechanics inside and out, folks who are incredible communicators, folks with enormous presence, folks who understand what it takes to get to the top, folks who really have the vision of doing it for the kids, folks who probably worked Jim Naismith's first games, folks who are still reeling from having just worked their first game. At any given moment, each one of these folks can make a great contribution or be FOS.

This board is like a box of chocolates!
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
There are folks here who are rules gurus, folks who understand the game incredibly well, folks with superb judgement, folks who know mechanics inside and out, folks who are incredible communicators, folks with enormous presence, folks who understand what it takes to get to the top, folks who really have the vision of doing it for the kids, folks who probably worked Jim Naismith's first games, folks who are still reeling from having just worked their first game.
...fat kids, skinny kids, kids who climb on rocks,
tough kids, sissy kids,
even kids with chicken pox...

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
This board is like a box of chocolates!
... and you're not naming the nuts, right?
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

...fat kids, skinny kids, kids who climb on rocks,
tough kids, sissy kids,
even kids with chicken pox...

[/B]
Thanks a lot, Juulie! Now, I'll be singing that song in my head all day. Oh well, at least the music will drown out all the other voices.