LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 04:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: The life of a Red Sox fan.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
So if I die tommorrow, I will have seen more Championships from my teams than you have seen World Series games from the BoSox.
Cardinals, Cubs, Tigers, Twins, White Sox ..., sure Rut!!!!
...You pick enough teams, there's a chance o' that happenin'.
mick
I am a Tigers fan because I was born in Michigan and love all Michigan teams in the sports I follow. The reason I love the University of Michigan (family members went there and I was born in Ann Arbor while my Mom was working on her Ph.D), Redwings and Pistons and sadly a Lions fan (comeback Barry).

I am a Cardinals fan, because when I was a kid Ozzie Smith was my hero and I heard many of his games and where I grew up in Illinois is more Cardinal Country than any other team. Also one of the reasons many are Rams fans and they train in the town I grew up in.

I hate the Cubs with a passion. I constantly wear Cardinal hats and gear around the many Cub fans I run into where I live just to tick them off. My hatred also goes along with the Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks and cannot stand University of Illinois in anything. The only teams and players I cheer for are the ones that come from Illinois, but it never hurts me to see them lose.

The White Sox I am not a fan of, but used to work on the South Side of Chicago. I do cheer for them when they play the Cubs. And you have to pick sides when you live in Chicago. Half our Basketball Meetings are constant shots at fellow officials about the Cubs and the Sox fans. But I cheer for any team that plays the Cubs.

The Twins took away my Cardinals chances from winning the World Series, I cannot stand the Twins!!!

Peace
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 04:25pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: The life of a Red Sox fan.

Quote:
[B
I am a Cardinals fan, because when I was a kid Ozzie Smith was my hero and I heard many of his games and where I grew up in Illinois is more Cardinal Country than any other team. Also one of the reasons many are Rams fans and they train in the town I grew up in.
[/B]
Rut,
Must be the water.
A lot of my Illinois family loves those Cardinals, too.
mick
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 04:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: The life of a Red Sox fan.

Quote:

Rut,
Must be the water.
A lot of my Illinois family loves those Cardinals, too.
mick

It usually depends on what media market you live. The town I grew up in was near Quincy, IL where both the a NBC and CBS Affiliates are located. They spend as much if not more time on Cardinal games than they do with the Cubs. And where I lived is closer to St. Louis than Chicago. So depending on where you family lives, that is rather common. The further north you go, then you find fewer and fewer Cardinal fans. And when you come to Chicago, the Cubs and White Sox fans hate each other. You should here the radio programs and how the Cub Fans get mad at ESPN 1000 (White Sox Radio) for talking too much about the Sox. When the Cubs were on their run last year, there was all these Sox fans ripping the Cubs in the radio and even in the paper. I do not know if it is the same in New York with their current teams, but it sounds similar to what it used to be in NY when the Giants and Dodgers were there. It is about your "hood" and where you came from. It is very much like that in Chicago right now.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 08:57am
In Memoriam

12-1 Yankees. All is well with the world, and Joe Torre lives to coach another day. Gets to fly back too, instead of having to walk.

Great interview by a Japanese announcer with Torre. He asked Torre if he liked playing games over there. Torre said that it was great except for one problem. An hour after finishing the game, they felt like playing another one.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
12-1 Yankees. All is well with the world, and Joe Torre lives to coach another day. Gets to fly back too, instead of having to walk.
Unlike Eric Davis of the Reds, after the '90 World Series, IIRC.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not a big baseball fan but as I'm probably the only member of this board living in Japan I'd like to add a couple comments:

-Having the first games played in Japan might not have been the best for fans in the states but it was for cultivating more fans in Japan. It's a business and was a great business decision. Just like having the first NBA games of the season played here.

-The Yankees loss in the first game was good to see. What might not have been reported in the States is that the Yankees lost the day before that (8-3?) to the Hanshin Tigers. As an American in Japan that was embarassing-but kind of worth it.

-To add fuel to the Red Sox-Yankees fued-the Hanshin Tigers would be the Japanese equivalent to the Red Sox. Very popular team in the second biggest market in Japan. But almost always loses to the Tokyo Giants (the Yankees of Japan)

[Edited by oc on Mar 31st, 2004 at 09:46 PM]
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 09:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by oc
-To add fuel to the Red Sox-Yankees fued-the Hanshin Tigers would be the Japanese equivalent to the Red Sox. Very popular team in second biggest market in Japan. But almost always loses to the Tokyo Giants (the Yankees of Japan)

Nah, the Hanshin Tigers wouldn't be the Japanese BoSox if they almost always lost to the Giants. If they ALWAYS lost to the Giants, they would be the Japanese BoSox.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 10:03pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs down

Oh, well. Red Sox didn't want Nomar anyway.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Nah, the Hanshin Tigers wouldn't be the Japanese BoSox if they almost always lost to the Giants. If they ALWAYS lost to the Giants, they would be the Japanese BoSox. [/B][/QUOTE]

10-9, buddy.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 10:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Better to stay on the DL 'til it's healed, instead of taking a chance of ripping it. 'Tis a long season.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 11:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:

Better to stay on the DL 'til it's healed, instead of taking a chance of ripping it. 'Tis a long season.
Long enough for the Yankees to get an insurmountable lead.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 05:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
[/B]
10-9, buddy.

[/B][/QUOTE]1918, buddy.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 04:13pm
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: The life of a Red Sox fan.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So if I die tommorrow, I will have seen more Championships from my teams than you have seen World Series games from the BoSox.
Cardinals, Cubs, Tigers, Twins, White Sox ..., sure Rut!!!!
...You pick enough teams, there's a chance o' that happenin'.
mick
I am a Tigers fan because I was born in Michigan and love all Michigan teams in the sports I follow. The reason I love the University of Michigan (family members went there and I was born in Ann Arbor while my Mom was working on her Ph.D), Redwings and Pistons and sadly a Lions fan (comeback Barry).

I hate the Cubs with a passion. I constantly wear Cardinal hats and gear around the many Cub fans I run into where I live just to tick them off. My hatred also goes along with the Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks and cannot stand University of Illinois in anything. The only teams and players I cheer for are the ones that come from Illinois, but it never hurts me to see them lose.

The White Sox I am not a fan of, but used to work on the South Side of Chicago. I do cheer for them when they play the Cubs. And you have to pick sides when you live in Chicago. Half our Basketball Meetings are constant shots at fellow officials about the Cubs and the Sox fans. But I cheer for any team that plays the Cubs.

The Twins took away my Cardinals chances from winning the World Series, I cannot stand the Twins!!!

Peace

Sorry to hear you are a Wolverine fan.

GO BUCKEYES!!!!
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 04:41pm
In Memoriam

N.I.T. pickin'

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

Sorry to hear you are a Wolverine fan.
GO BUCKEYES!!!!
Mark,
I hear, maybe from JR (he provides me necessary Michigan news), that a wolverine was actually seen in Michigan a month or so ago.

So, quite possibly, they may not be as extinct as most folks thought.

All I remember about a buckeye is that it's some kinda nut, which looks like N.I.T., but sounds like Rut(gers).

mick

Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 10:46pm
In Memoriam

Oh, Chuck? Heeheeheehee.........

Just a few observations:
- Johny Damon's hair put on quite a few pounds over the winter, didn't it? Is he auditioning for the role of "Grizzly Adams"?
- Looks like Gabe Kapler lost the same "4 pounds" that Jason Giambi did.
- Sidney Ponson should be on steroids. Or somebody's gonna stick a harpoon in him.