Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Manny can't be a happy camper though, even though you'd never know it. He has to know that the Sox have been trying to dump him and his humongous contract. Same with Nomar. I don't think that the Bosox front office did the smartest thing by even acknowledging what they were trying to do with these guys.
JR, I said the same thing in the "Is it September Already" thread, before it was cruelly cut down in the prime of its life. (It's a joke, it's a joke already.) If you want to move a player of that visibility, you quietly ask around. You "put out feelers". You don't just put him on waivers, especially when you have to know that nobody's just going to pick up $20mil/yr, not even the Yankees! I still don't understand that move. Unless it was supposed be a very specific message: "We know we can't move you, but we want to shake you up a little". But I don't think that was the point, although I certainly can't say for sure.

Nomar's situation is a lot different. He wasn't being dumped. He was being moved to make room for (arguably) the best player in the game, who also happens to play his position. While that's not a happy thought, it's not like the Sox didn't want Nomar. They offered him a huge contract before last season, and he turned it down. Now he won't get anything near what the Sox offered him.

Quote:
If you were Nomar, would you play hurt for a team that was trying to trade you in your walk year?
Well, honestly, yes I would for the simple fact that it is his walk year. He has no contract for next season, not even an option. And as I said before, his market value is already way down (just b/c the whole market is down). So I'd be trying my best to put up whatever numbers I could before I became a free agent. Unless, of course, he's willing to settle for $6.5mil/yr instead of $12mil/yr.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

By the way, mick, how 'bout them Tigers!!!!!
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Great line in Conan O'Brien's monologue last night: "It now costs more for a family of four to go to a Mets game than it does to go to a Yankees game. That's because you have to buy the tickets for the Mets game and pay your family to go with you!"

Gotta admit, not much charm to Shea when I was there last season.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Terry Francona didn't so well in Philly, but I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, since he didn't have much talent on that team. But I hope Boston fans don't have this crap to look forward to all season: Francona put David McCarty -- a back-up first baseman -- in to pitch in the top of the 9th today. When the Red Sox were still within 3 runs!

Putting a fielder in to pitch is pretty much a sign that the game is over. Either you're way up or you're way down and you don't care if the guy gives up 5 runs; you just want to save your bullpen. I understand the Sox played 13 innings last night (and lost, sigh), but you can't concede the game when you're only down by 3! Great googly-moogly!
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 05:48pm
In Memoriam

I must admit that a "what the dexter" escaped my lips also. Should be veeeeeery interseting in the Boston papers tomorrow.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 12:59pm
Esteemed Participant

The Mariners finally win one!!! Hooray!!! At this rate, we will win 27 games this year! Should put us in contention for that elusive Wild Card slot, eh???
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 01:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
The Mariners finally win one!!! Hooray!!! At this rate, we will win 27 games this year! Should put us in contention for that elusive Wild Card slot, eh???

Well, at least you can spend your time constructively anyway, having the outcome of your games usually decided by the 4th. inning. Still sitting in your dark little room sticking pins in your Junior Griffey doll, Rock? I can hear you now- "Well, I got your knee. I got your shoulder. I got your elbow. Howzabout a groin injury for ya now, Junior? Take that!" Seems to be working too. Poor guy's gone from the Hall of Fame to the Hall of Pain. Can't stay on the field nohow.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 08:20pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad

Well, at least you can spend your time constructively anyway, having the outcome of your games usually decided by the 4th. inning. Still sitting in your dark little room sticking pins in your Junior Griffey doll, Rock? I can hear you now- "Well, I got your knee. I got your shoulder. I got your elbow. Howzabout a groin injury for ya now, Junior? Take that!" Seems to be working too. Poor guy's gone from the Hall of Fame to the Hall of Pain. Can't stay on the field nohow.
Darn right...Griffey's a big dexterhead! Next I start on that bigger dexterhead Randy Johnson!!!
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

How can you guys talk baseball when HOCKEY PLAYOFFS are on?

GO HABS GO
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 11:03pm
In Memoriam

Cool

Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 02:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy

GO HABS GO
"Les Habitants sont la!"

Go Habs? I thought you were out around Vancouver? No "Go Canucks"?

Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
GO HABS GO
They'll be lucky to win another game in the series. B's will get a (rare) series win against them!

(I'm only making this post b/c the Sox were off last night! )
Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

GO HABS GO
"Les Habitants sont la!"

Go Habs? I thought you were out around Vancouver? No "Go Canucks"?

Yeah, but I was a Canadiens fan as a kid, just never gave it up...
Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 10:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
GO HABS GO
They'll be lucky to win another game in the series. B's will get a (rare) series win against them!

(I'm only making this post b/c the Sox were off last night! )
The big thing, I guess, is that the Broons actually won something in your lifetime, didn't they? Even if you were only a baby at the time? Unlike the BoSox who........

Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 07:41am
In Memoriam

And today's burning question is "Will the BoSox have the same attendant in the Yankees' bullpen Friday night at Fenway that they had last year? And will they dress him up as a pinata and put him up on a pole to make things easier?"