View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
when did Georgetown move to the A-10??? Aren't they still in the "big" east...
They might as well move down to the A-10, they've been playing worse than St. Bonnaventure as of late.

George Washington plays Georgetown annually in women's basketball, and we (the students, at least) want to see an annual game against Georgetown's men's team. One theory floated as to why GU refuses is that, if they were to lose to GW, that would be the end of their storied basketball program.

Bottom line - in D.C. proper, GW men are on their way up, and GU men are on their way down.
Ok, first some info.
1. I attended G'town, Mark goes to George Washington.
2. The Hoyas have been a Big East member since the league was founded. GW plays in the Atlantic 10.
3. The scheduling problem is something that annoys even the Georgetown folks. I blame it all on John Thompson. Back in the 80s, his philosophy was to beat up on a bunch of nobodys at the start of the season to run his record up to 11-0 and build confidence in the players. Therefore, the Hoyas rarely played Maryland, Virginia, or anybody else good even though they were nearby. They did the same thing this year. Thankfully, the school fired Esherick (a longtime Thompson asst.) so maybe the scheduling will start to change. I would like to see annual games against GW, MD, and UVA. The days of playing a weak non-conference schedule and depending upon the Big East play to earn an NCAA bid are over.