View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

In my fifth year, I think I'm just starting to get the hang of coach management. I ignored them for the first 3 1/2 years, but now I'm talking more...in fact, I may be talking too much to them. Nothing snide, mind you, but I think I may be looking like I'm trying too hard to please (even though I don't at all care what the coach thinks). The first time or two a coach says something, I'm willing to give a quick explanation as I go by (on a dead ball). If a coach is -really- mad but still polite, I will preface my comment with "You won't like this, coach, but I saw..." I find that nips any argument in the bud, as they can't surprise me with a negative reply. Last week, I reffed an ugly game with 29 first-half fouls, most on white. When the coach told me "this is awfully lopsided" and gave me the number of fouls, I basically just shrugged. Next time I think I may just nod. "Yes, coach...it's lopsided." There's no response to that.

Just rambling here...but I find I'm getting the hang of it. Give them the benefit of the doubt for one or two questions/requests for clarification, then tell them "no more, coach" if it becomes clear this is going to be constant.

Paul