Originally posted by Dan_ref
Well. All of you "why can't we all just get along" guys
out there who have a problem with my confrontational
approach seem to have no problem with the fact that
the guy not only called way out of his area (lead making
a backcourt call) but he got the call wrong. Do you
all go out of your way to protect your partners after
they've blown a call, gone out of their way to reverse
the ball & make you look bad? All in 1 whistle.
Dan,
I don't feel like I look bad on an idiotic call by a partner. I ain't wearin' that shoe and if someone wants to put it on me, it won't fit.
Further, I feel most fans, coaches and players will recognize who blew what.
I would deal with that partner as follows: Get the game done!

mick
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 03:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Dan_ref:

Last year in my first year, I had one of these lousy partners. I mean he was over-bearing, loud, insulting and rude to me the coaches and the players. I was feeling pretty green, but I knew I was better than to deserve to be treated this way, and the coach who he T'ed for asking an honest, quiet question at half-time really didn't deserve the treatment. About three minutes into the third quarter, I was inbounding the ball on the endline (it was a VERY small gym) and there were a number of parents standing close enough that I could count their whiskers. This partner came running down and pointed out for all to hear that I wasn't supposed to bounce pass the ball on the end line (I had no intention) and I should hand it -- he demonstrated and then handed me the ball and said, "Now you try!" I accidentally looked up at one dad who rolled his eyes and started laughing. That dad taught me a lesson -- it wasn't me who looked like a fool that day.

Incidentally, I complained about the treatment I received and the fellow iwn't in the association this year, I notice. Hmmm...
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 03:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
JoeD1 --

On the other hand, here is my idea of a really incredibly good partner. It was about my fourth game ever -- well, I don't know, maybe sixth. I handed the ball to be inbounded, the girl with the ball reached it across the line and the defender stole it. I knew it was legal, because I had just been studying that section of the book at breakfast. (Okay, I know, my husband has already told me this is weird!) But my partner watched for a second, waited and finally blew his whistle. He waved me over and asked me why I hadn't blown it. I said I knew it was legal, he disagreed, but I held my ground. By this time the coach of the girl who had lost the ball was screaming. My partner went over to that coach and defended me! On a rule that he didn't understand! Even though he knew how inexperienced and uncertain I was! When the coach asked why he blew his whistle, he said he hadn't known that rule, and wasn't it lucky I was so well-versed? Totally non-sarcastic, completely serious. Then he took the ball, gave it to the team that had stolen it, and off we went. Wow! What a man!
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 03:29am
Official Forum Member

Dan,
I don't know how long you have been in this game , but if any new officials take you seriously they will regret it.
Pistol
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

No one is saying he was not wrong, there is just a right time and place to hold the discussion.

Picture yourself in the stands and you see two refs getting at each other. What will you think the rest of the game? What will the coaches think? What would an assignor or observer think? We are the third team on the floor, and like it or not, sometimes we have sack up and continue in that situation. You don't have to like it or enjoy it, but we are all professionals, so we HAVE to do it.

I know we have some observers out there...What would you like to see your crew members do?
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

As a young ref myself (2nd year), I sympathize with Joe. It seems veteran officials fall into one of two groups in regard to their attitudes about working with newer refs. Some guys pass off this attitude that they shouldn't have to work with you and you're a burden (which they determine - somehow - before you've made a call). Other guys are really cool about it and try hard to be helpful and communicative.

Unfortunately, I have found a fair number from that first group. The problem is, I'm pretty sure that being confrontational with them (whether you are right or wrong) will not help the game go more smoothly. If the goal is to conduct a consistently and professionally-officiated game, I would probably not confront a guy who I know will react badly. For me, sometimes it's hard not being confrotational, but I try to put the integrity of that night's game before my pride.

I keep hearing and reading about how we need to build our ranks by encouraging and teaching younger officials. I have been a little put out, however, that some veterans (certainly not all) send a very clear message that they don't want us around.

I'm interested to hear from you vets about how you feel about newer officials.

Joe
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 11:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeT

Joe
Joe,
I became a trainer for our association because of the newer, not necessarily younger officials.
I am, however, put out by newer officials that only cracked the officials' manual for an initial testing procedure.
I enjoy working with newer officials at any level from Jr.High (middle school) to JV level, and if any questions are asked, I am happy to answer, or find the answer.
mick
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Devana
Dan,
I don't know how long you have been in this game , but if any new officials take you seriously they will regret it.
Pistol
I see. So your philosophy is to go along to get along,
even when your partner obviously blows a call? Let's
put aside for the moment that the guy has no business
making the call. He just made a bad call& you know it.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As a young ref myself (2nd year), I sympathize with Joe. It seems veteran officials fall into one of two groups in regard to their attitudes about working with newer refs. Some guys pass off this attitude that they shouldn't have to work with you and you're a burden (which they determine - somehow - before you've made a call). Other guys are really cool about it and try hard to be helpful and communicative.

Unfortunately, I have found a fair number from that first group. The problem is, I'm pretty sure that being confrontational with them (whether you are right or wrong) will not help the game go more smoothly. If the goal is to conduct a consistently and professionally-officiated game, I would probably not confront a guy who I know will react badly. For me, sometimes it's hard not being confrotational, but I try to put the integrity of that night's game before my pride.

I keep hearing and reading about how we need to build our ranks by encouraging and teaching younger officials. I have been a little put out, however, that some veterans (certainly not all) send a very clear message that they don't want us around.

Joe
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Joe,
I became a trainer for our association because of the newer, not necessarily younger officials.
I am, however, put out by newer officials that only cracked the officials' manual for an initial testing procedure.
I enjoy working with newer officials at any level from Jr.High (middle school) to JV level, and if any questions are asked, I am happy to answer, or find the answer.
mick
I should have said that by "younger" I meant "less experienced."

I agree that it is unacceptable not to have spent some serious "book time" in learning to be officials. My guess is that those officials will choose to remedy that situation as soon as they put their feet in their mouths in front of an experienced coach. I *do* work hard to understand the rules and cases, but I still find things on which I'm not perfectly clear. For me, it is the fear that I will not be prepared to rule quickly, confidently, and correctly that keeps me studying.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Without new officials the sport would be lost. I have been an active official, educator and clinition since the early 60's.The experienced guys have to WANT to work with the novices. I f they don't, they shouldn't be assigned to those games. When so assigned I feel you have to trust each other-call your own areas and learn to take the heat for your own calls and no-calls. Only in truly obvious situations should either official make a call in his partner's area . That should happen rarely. When it does , you should communicate the reason clearly to your partner and by doing so to everyone else. I saw this happen just the other day between two very experienced officials. One called double dribble ,in the grey area as the dribbler was passing from the trail's area to the lead's. The official who did not make the call immediately gave a double tweet of his whistle -rushed over to his partner and with an obvious deflection signal combined with the verbalization-"the defence deflected the ball" Changed the call and gave the ball back to the offence.GREAT officiating and PERFECT teamwork. Everyone in the place realized these guys were a good team!! Remember it can never be confrontational.
YIBB
PISTOL
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 01:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Joe,
mick
I should have said that by "younger" I meant "less experienced."

I agree that it is unacceptable not to have spent some serious "book time" in learning to be officials. My guess is that those officials will choose to remedy that situation as soon as they put their feet in their mouths in front of an experienced coach. I *do* work hard to understand the rules and cases, but I still find things on which I'm not perfectly clear. For me, it is the fear that I will not be prepared to rule quickly, confidently, and correctly that keeps me studying.
JoeT,
After 9 or 10 years, I still have that "Angst". I do not know if I will ever feel totally confident with my game.
If I ever do, perhaps that is the time for me to quit taking up space on the floor.
I started officiating when I was old, and now I am that much older. I have a lot of lost time to make up, so I am aiming for quality before I have to quit.
mick
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Devana
Without new officials the sport would be lost. I have been an active official, educator and clinition since the early 60's.The experienced guys have to WANT to work with the novices. I f they don't, they shouldn't be assigned to those games. When so assigned I feel you have to trust each other-call your own areas and learn to take the heat for your own calls and no-calls. Only in truly obvious situations should either official make a call in his partner's area . That should happen rarely. When it does , you should communicate the reason clearly to your partner and by doing so to everyone else. I saw this happen just the other day between two very experienced officials. One called double dribble ,in the grey area as the dribbler was passing from the trail's area to the lead's. The official who did not make the call immediately gave a double tweet of his whistle -rushed over to his partner and with an obvious deflection signal combined with the verbalization-"the defence deflected the ball" Changed the call and gave the ball back to the offence.GREAT officiating and PERFECT teamwork. Everyone in the place realized these guys were a good team!! Remember it can never be confrontational.
YIBB
PISTOL
So Pistol, now that you might be singing a different tune
I'm gonna ask you how is it younger officials would regret
taking the advice I gave in this thread? Go back & read
what I said, pay close attention to the parts where I say
before reversing the leads bad call you should confer
with him. How is doing it "my way" bad advice, and
doing it "your way" "GREAT officiating and PERFECT
teamwork"? You also touch on the issue of trusting our
partners, but you might find that I did bring that up
as potentially the reason why the lead took that call away
from the less experienced trail. So, I'll say it again:
the lead made the wrong over & back call because he did not
trust his partner. The only way to stop these guys from
over-reaching is to take the call back from him. The
hardest thing for new officials (and I'll admit I am
a new official compared to someone doing it since the early
'60s) to gain is self confidence under presssure. If you
can't correct your own partner *in this case* how can you
deal with coaches? Anyway I think we've about beat this
thing to death by now.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Dan,
Maybe I misread what you have been saying-I sincerely hope so!!
Pistol
Old Fri Dec 15, 2000, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Again, the point is not to meekly accept the call by one's partner overstepping his bounds, nor to "go along to get along." The point is that there are different ways to go about resolving or dealing with the situation, and choosing a confrontational approach destined to foster animosity is less desireable and less effective overall than using our "people skills" to handle things. Our desired end result is the same (get the guy to stop calling well out of his area), but our means to getting there is quite different. I appreciate those of you who spoke up in favor of people skills.