View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 01:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeT
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Joe,
I became a trainer for our association because of the newer, not necessarily younger officials.
I am, however, put out by newer officials that only cracked the officials' manual for an initial testing procedure.
I enjoy working with newer officials at any level from Jr.High (middle school) to JV level, and if any questions are asked, I am happy to answer, or find the answer.
mick
I should have said that by "younger" I meant "less experienced."

I agree that it is unacceptable not to have spent some serious "book time" in learning to be officials. My guess is that those officials will choose to remedy that situation as soon as they put their feet in their mouths in front of an experienced coach. I *do* work hard to understand the rules and cases, but I still find things on which I'm not perfectly clear. For me, it is the fear that I will not be prepared to rule quickly, confidently, and correctly that keeps me studying.
JoeT,
After 9 or 10 years, I still have that "Angst". I do not know if I will ever feel totally confident with my game.
If I ever do, perhaps that is the time for me to quit taking up space on the floor.
I started officiating when I was old, and now I am that much older. I have a lot of lost time to make up, so I am aiming for quality before I have to quit.
mick