View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Pistol. Until your post, I was feeling rather surprised and disappointed at how many were supporting a more confrontational approach. I understand the inclination to do so, but I believe the most successful officials are those who have and utilize good "people skills" with players and coaches. If we can hold our tongues with coaches, and say something in a calm and helpful manner, why wouldn't we apply those same skills with our fellow officials? Being confrontational, and not caring whether we "piss off" our partner, is neither professional nor helpful. Discussing what we noticed, listening to his/her explanation and trying to agree on a procedure that will get us through this particular game most smoothly will, in my opinion, yield the best result. Having an angry discourse during halftime will likely see TWO angry officials come out for the second half who are short in patience, not working as a team, and unable to concentrate fully on their jobs. And THAT is neither good for the game, nor for the officials themselves.