View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 09, 2000, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Alright people. I had a pair of extremely frustrating JV games this week. I thought someone could maybe offer some advice.

I am a third year official and I really try very to understand the rules and be mechanically sound. I was working these games with an older, more-experienced official. We didn't have time to conduct a pregame, primarily because most of the officials in my association show up 10 to maybe 15 minutes before game time.

There have been a couple of points on which I have been working very hard. I think about these before every game. One of these is officiating my primary area of coverage (this is in a 2 man crew).

My partner *consistently* made calls that were COMPLETELY in my area. And, to make it worse, the vast majority of these were totally wrong calls. For example, he was in the lead position both times (almost to the end line each time) when he called two backcourt violations. I was on top of the play and they were very obviously not a violation.

One of my problems with this is that I feel it makes me look like a fool. I had to bite my tongue during the game and it really distracted me at times. Can any of you offer any advice?

I call with two groups. This group is small, unorganized, and the majority of the referees are what I would consider unprofessional. But, I also call games with a much larger, well organized, and very professional group of referees. Being a third-year official, I take games anywhere I can get them and pretty much anytime.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.