The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Do you peek?

3-man high school game. I am lead table side, closed down to the lane line extended. Ball is nr. the FT line ext. Skip pass over to the wing to the 2 guard who chucks it. Slot is straightlined but indicates 3. It goes. Slot indicated good.

Here is what I did....tell me what you have done / recommend...In theory, this question could apply, maybe more so to 2-man.

I took a peek and saw the foot clearly on the line. I indicated 2 (two fingers extended pointing towards the floor). After it went, I killed it and made sure we only scored 2. Come to find out, T saw what I saw too and also hit his whistle when I did.

What do you old guys think....will the peeks get me in the soup? Is there a cure for the peeks? Was I ok?

Larks
VIT

Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
Do you peek?

3-man high school game. I am lead table side, closed down to the lane line extended. Ball is nr. the FT line ext. Skip pass over to the wing to the 2 guard who chucks it. Slot is straightlined but indicates 3. It goes. Slot indicated good.

Here is what I did....tell me what you have done / recommend...In theory, this question could apply, maybe more so to 2-man.

I took a peek and saw the foot clearly on the line. I indicated 2 (two fingers extended pointing towards the floor). After it went, I killed it and made sure we only scored 2. Come to find out, T saw what I saw too and also hit his whistle when I did.

What do you old guys think....will the peeks get me in the soup? Is there a cure for the peeks? Was I ok?

Larks
VIT

You done good. The objective is to get it right.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:04am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Yer okay, ... except for the whistle.
On your way back down court tell the table that last shot was a two. Then tell your "slot" at the next opportunity.

Thanks, bigwhistle.
mick

[Edited by mick on Feb 5th, 2004 at 10:47 AM]
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
On your way back down court tell the table that last shot was a three. Then tell your "slot" at the next opportunity.

mick,

I think you meant to say tell the table it was a "2". However, I disagree with not stopping the game immediately to fix the problem. If the official only goes by the table and tells them in transistion, the benches may not recognize the correction. This could cause a problem with differing scorebooks, etc. Also, they may then ask the official who signaled a "3" what the value of the goal was. If he was not aware that the correction was made, he may again respond that the basket was worth 3 points.

So, in order to nip all the potential confusion in the bud, sound the whistle and fix the problem. BTW, this is not a situation where the partners need to get together to discuss. If the over-ruling official was not at least 100% sure that the wrong value was scored, he should leave the play alone.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

I agree that a whistle is important and not just changing on the fly. BigW I think that as L you should be the last person to blow on this. You are in close-down and I am not sure what type of post action you have but I think if you are patient you might find that T calls the foot of the line, like you said he hit the whistle when you did. If T passes and you are 100 % then blow it and get it right.

But I disagree with not meeting. If you are going to over rule, or change a partner's call I think it is important to talk to that person. It makes us look more like a team on the floor and it shows the coaches we are communicating. This meeting should only be A FEW SECONDS, because we know that if a partner is coming to us he is 100%, but the perception of the quick meeting makes a world of difference. The other way it looks like one ref knows better than the other and he is in control not the calling offical.

Having said all that, getting it right is most important and it sounds like one really had a problem. Just some thoughts for future situations.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 12:08pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Why on the fly?

If a partner is badly straight-lined and misses a three (ie. didn't see the three, so didn't mark the three), do you blow the whistle to tell the table that a three should be counted, while the opponents are rtushing the ball down court.?

I do it on the fly in both cases. No exception unless the table buzzes me.

mick
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Mick

Honestly do you it on the fly? I think that is a poor mechanic. I also think that you are really late in acting on the situation if you team B is charging up the court when you whistle the change. If my partner misses a 3 attempt I have a few seconds while the ball is in the air to decide if I need to change the call plus the dead ball time that it takes the new offensive team to take the ball out and put it back in play. This correction needs to be made before the ball is back in play and like I said on a 3 point attempt I think we have lots of time to do this.

As for the mechanic of just changing it on the fly, what if the coaches don't notice you doing it and start complaining that the score is wrong? What if I as your partner don't notice this and think the score has made a mistake? Both of these could lead to a stop in play and a conference.

This is a situation that should not occur very often, but when it does please give your partner the courtesy to talk to him/her and work as a team on the floor. It gives the perception of teamwork and not hierarchy in officals.

JMO.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Why on the fly?

Quote:
How do you do this if you're opposite the table?
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

I had a partner really reem me for this

I was in a similar situation. I was lead and was not closed down. The ball had just finished transition. Guard puts up a shot and I see that he is on the line. Trail signals a 3 and turns his back to run down the court. I try to get his attention to no avail. A defensive player is screaming it was only a 2. I waited until the next dead ball and told them it was a 2. It really gave it to me and told me it was not my call and kept it a 3. The same defensive player was close to getting a T, but I held up as I agreed with him.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 12:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dewey1
I also think that you are really late in acting on the situation if you team B is charging up the court when you whistle the change. ....
This is a situation that should not occur very often, but when it does please give your partner the courtesy to talk to him/her and work as a team on the floor. It gives the perception of teamwork and not hierarchy in officals.

On your way back down court tell the table that last shot was a three. Then tell your "slot" at the next opportunity.

Dewey1,
I do not whistle.
I do tell my partners.

Where did you get all that?

I understand that you would rather fix it immediately eventhough you would bring attention to your partner's mistake, but I prefer to correct quietly.

mick
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 01:03pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Why on the fly?

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
How do you do this if you're opposite the table?
Then I remember the shooter's number and wait for next dead ball.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: I had a partner really reem me for this

Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
I was in a similar situation. I was lead and was not closed down. The ball had just finished transition. Guard puts up a shot and I see that he is on the line. Trail signals a 3 and turns his back to run down the court. I try to get his attention to no avail. A defensive player is screaming it was only a 2. I waited until the next dead ball and told them it was a 2. It really gave it to me and told me it was not my call and kept it a 3. The same defensive player was close to getting a T, but I held up as I agreed with him.
Which is why you, and Mick, should hit the whistle right away and fix it.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
This is part of my pregame...........Crack the whistle and fix it "IMMEDIATELY". That lets everyone in the gym know what's going on.

Wouldn't bother me at all if my partner fixed it.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 01:26pm
In Memoriam

The forum has spoken.

mick
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Mick

Sorry about the confusion, I said whistle but meant to say signal. I understand that you do not whistle the play dead, which I think is a potential problem.

But I would disagree that you talk with your partner, in your situation you TELL your parnter what you did to his/her call. What I am talking about it is actually talking with and coming to an agreement about the call. Which once again leads to teamwork and not a hierarchy which is what I see when I read that you just change it and then tell your partner.