View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun

I don't know what kind of games you are officiating but the ones I work do not allow me the opportunity to stray. My game tonight came down to the buzzer. I was the trail and the shot was taken on the opposite side of the court. Could I look over there? No! I had to watch the rebounders since one kid was about 6'7" 265lbs and the other kid was about 6'7", thin as a rail but could jump out of the gym. I HAD to stay with the rebounders.

Look, I don't know who you are or where you work or the level you work at and I am sure you're the best thing that's happened to basketball in the last 50 years. But you're wrong. Please don't take this as a personal attack but one of the silliest things we refereees like to say is "if you're looking over there who's looking over here". Well, I'm telling you we need to look everywhere.

Generally (notice I said generally), we keep track of the game clock, keep an eagle eye on the shot clock, get a good view of how the O & D are setting up, sneak a peak at the coach if we think he needs a timeout, look for cutters coming in & out, watch how a play might develop, etc etc and still manage to referee our area. Let's face it, no assignor pays me or you to stare at the 5 square feet in front of us. Court awareness. I'm not saying watch the ball, I'm not saying call all over the court, I'm not saying there are not times where you need to focus like a hawk on a matchup, I am saying that if you are only aware of what's happening in your area and not what's happening on the court then you might as well not show up. And if you at L blow the whistle and tell me at T that A1 had his foot on the 3 point line while I have both arms in the air I am not going to wonder who the hell was watching the 2 big guys banging in the post. I am going to thank you. Because we got it right.