View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 10:55pm
Huck Finn

"During the two minute, dead ball game when we get together to pump ourselves up for the final seconds of a close game, I often mention "Let's make sure we help each other on the Threes."..........while someone is getting slaughtered in the paint right in front of you.

This is mechanically wrong and you should trust your partners. You can justify it all you want but it is not something that should become a normal part of a game. I don't know what kind of games you are officiating but the ones I work do not allow me the opportunity to stray. My game tonight came down to the buzzer. I was the trail and the shot was taken on the opposite side of the court. Could I look over there? No! I had to watch the rebounders since one kid was about 6'7" 265lbs and the other kid was about 6'7", thin as a rail but could jump out of the gym. I HAD to stay with the rebounders. I guess if I had pre-determined that I wasn't going to make a call no matter what or I didn't have the courage I could have looked anyplace I wanted. I have a make-up game tomorrow and I will stress that, off-ball officiating. Just tonight I had to tell the JV guys they were going to sprain a muscle watching the ball all over the court.

Mick,can you answer this with no buts. Is what you are saying mechanically correct?