The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

It may look ugly, and the fans and opposing coach are sure to be yelling, but it still seems legal to me.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Show me where a pass, by itself, ends a dribble, and I'll reconsider. You'll of course also need to show me a rule-book definition of a pass. Dribble passes do not end the dribble, as far as I'm concerned. There's no rule to back that up.
Show me how this fits the definition of an interrupted dribble. If it is a pass, it's not an interrupted dribble.

Mregor
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Smile I've been thinking!

I've been thinking about the original play which can be dangerous so correct me if I'm wrong. It is the job of the official to determine if it is an interupted dribble or the the player has ended his dribble and then decided to pass. In the original post the pass was done in such a manner that it is really an interupted dribble that happens to go to the players teammate. If that same thing happened but did not go to a teammate the officials interpetation would be an interupted dribble in which case he can dribble as long as the player does not pick up the ball which would end the dribble. In the original post the pass also called a dribble pass(not in the rule book) is really an interupted dribble and not a pass.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I've been thinking!

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ
I've been thinking about the original play which can be dangerous so correct me if I'm wrong. It is the job of the official to determine if it is an interupted dribble or the the player has ended his dribble and then decided to pass. In the original post the pass was done in such a manner that it is really an interupted dribble that happens to go to the players teammate. If that same thing happened but did not go to a teammate the officials interpetation would be an interupted dribble in which case he can dribble as long as the player does not pick up the ball which would end the dribble. In the original post the pass also called a dribble pass(not in the rule book) is really an interupted dribble and not a pass.
9-13, An interrupted dribble occurs when the ball is loose after deflecting off the dribbler or after it momentarily gets away from the dribbler.

IMO, an interrupted dribble is not an intentional act. We've discussed this numerous times and everone has their own opinion. I say it is not an interrupted dribble. If the player did not end his dribble, I've got a violation when he touches the ball after being OOB because the loose ball is part of his dribble. If he ended his dribble, I've got an illegal dribble when he returns and begins dribbling again. As originally described, I say it was part of the dribble, play on.

Mregor
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Thanks for the help!

Thank you mregor. My illogic is becoming more like logic.