The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

It's was just one of those nights and maybe my body told my mind to call the Timeout, but for whatever reasons, "I did it, now what? What I did was, shook my head-waved it off-pointed to the spot-and gave a direction. Considering you botched the call, is there any better way to do it???

Granted, I was modest and somewhat embarrassed, but I have seen games where the Ref would say, Okay...I goofed, but I'm going to grant you your timeout and give you a courtesy Technical for calling it. What's better???
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Here's what the National Federation Case Book has to say:

"The official erroneously grants Team B a time-out in a situation when Team B cannot have one. What happens now?

Ruling: Team B is entitled to use the time-out since it was granted. The time-out once granted cannot be revoked and is charged to Team B. All privileges and rights permitted during a charged time-out are available to both teams."
(5.8.3E)

I did it once myself on an OOB play near the end of a JV game. The ball was at the disposal of the inbounding team, when the defense requested a time-out, which I granted. I knew in a moment I had erred, but I may have been the only one in the gym who did, and I wasn't talking. No one said a word. The time-out was used, play continued, and I learned from the mistake.

Sven
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Sven is right for FED.

NCAA doesn't allow the TO, iirc. Just put the ball back in play.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 12:29pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by MREUROREF
It's was just one of those nights and maybe my body told my mind to call the Timeout, but for whatever reasons, "I did it, now what? What I did was, shook my head-waved it off-pointed to the spot-and gave a direction. Considering you botched the call, is there any better way to do it???

Granted, I was modest and somewhat embarrassed, but I have seen games where the Ref would say, Okay...I goofed, but I'm going to grant you your timeout and give you a courtesy Technical for calling it. What's better???
Mr.E,
When the whistle goes off, (I know the devil made you do it.), go over and pick up that "Thing" off the floor that you thought was a contact lens.
mick
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

I did this last year in a tourney. Both teams had maroon jerseys, only diff was one had a white sash across the top. The coach came up while I was the trail and asked for a TO, I saw thier team color out of the corner of my and granted it. I turned around and saw the full uni and my gut sank, but Fed rules are clear, gotta give it. I reported the TO to the table, and the other coach wanted my rump for dinner. Once I explained the rule he was cool with it.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Thumbs up

M,

I think you did the right thing...even though it isn't "the written law".

Just the other night, I had a big VG game between two good programs. In the 2nd quarter, the visiting team was bringing the ball up from the backcourt. Home team was up at the midcourt line. I was the trail, on BENCH side, working my way up the floor near the sideline in front of the visiting team's bench. Just as the guard crossed the hash mark, I could hear the coach (who was behind me) call what sounded like "timeout". At that time, I didn't grant the TO since I, 1.) didn't want to take my eyes off the meeting of the offense and defense that was about to occur, AND 2.) wasn't sure I had heard the definitive word "timeout".

The visiting coach called out the same thing, 2 more times. While turning around to look at him, I blew my whistle to grant him his TO. He proceeded to tell me that he hadn't called a TO. I explained that I heard him say it at least 3 times and that I needed to grant him a TO. He pressed further and said that he was calling the offense as he didn't trust his PG to do..."FIVE OUT". I pressed by saying, "Coach, I was sure I heard TO...and I must grant you a TO." He said, "I understand and can see why you may have misinterpreted, but I didn't want a TO." I told him to hold on so I could check and make sure that my partner hadn't heard him call TO or seen him make the gesture.

My partner said that he thought he heard TO, but when he glanced toward the bench did NOT see him signal. He re-iterated to me that I must grant if it's what I thought I heard...even if it wasn't fair. Even though I agreed, I thought I'd try something else. I called the two coaches together, explained to the home coach that I had screwed up by blowing my whistle thinking I should be granting a TO when in fact the opposing coach was simply calling his offense, and that I wanted to give the ball to the visiting team (as they did have control) at the spot nearest the out-of-bounds line. SHE agreed and accepted my explanation.

If she would have pressed it, I would have turned to the visiting coach and used the, "Coach, by rule..." statement.

Not text book, but I think I used good judgement.

Now, before the 3rd quarter started, I went to the visiting coach and explained that he was now in a precarious situation in that he might actually need to call a TO in a sticky situation INSTEAD of just calling his offensive play, and we officials may not grant it because what had happened. He laughed, agreed, and assured both me & my partner that if he really wanted a TO, he would be sure that we knew it.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

White has the ball and...?

This exact situation happened to me last night in a girls varsity game. There are 41 seconds left in 4th quarter and white leads with score 47-44. White has the ball in their front court; A1 shoots and ball is blocked by B1 OOB on baseline. I am trail, partner is lead. My partner has OOB call, gives proper mechanics and awards the ball to A for a designated spot throw-in in front court at baseline. After he gives A1 the ball, he propertly begins his 5-second court. I am still trail, table side. B Team coach is screaming for a time-out. I ignore it. My partner (I guess hears the request for a time-out) blows his whistle and grants request for time-out. I run to him loudly saying, "no time-out," but he's quick to the draw and says "time-out to green." The green team quickly runs to their bench. The white team (apparently befuddled) walks to their bench. My partner moves past me to report the time-out to table personnel but I intercede and briefly explain that Green cannot have a time-out. He knows he blew and asks, "What should I do now. I say it's too late to do anything else but grant the time-out. The White team won the game (47-44). Post game, my partner explained he granted the time-out because the ball was dead. A brief lesson on live ball/dead ball took place. I'm glad my partner was receptive. Moreso, I was happy the coach of the white team did not make a fuss.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 01:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
M,

He proceeded to tell me that he hadn't called a TO. I explained that I heard him say it at least 3 times and that I needed to grant him a TO. He pressed further and said that he was calling the offense as he didn't trust his PG to do..."FIVE OUT".
A few years ago I also had a coach who named a play "five out". The first time I heard it, I called a timeout. He protested, but I told him that there was no way in a loud gym that we could differentiate between "five out" and "timeout" and how would he feel if he yelled "timeout" and we thought he was just calling out a play? I suggested he change the name of the play, because we weren't going to change the name of the timeout.

He laughed and agree.

Kind of reminded me of an NFL game I saw on TV where the Packers used a hand signal in their two-minute, no huddle drill where Favre made a motion like a timeout signal and one was called, while he really was just calling a play. After the game, he said (kind of tongue-in-cheek) that the Packers probably should change their signal for that play.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Mark,

I believe I would have granted the time out if it had been in the 4th quarter or a tightly contested game. But since this was the first half of what was turning out to be a pretty good game, I thought I'd try to "bend the rules" to the situation.

Good advice for the next time!! I think I may try it!
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Help! It is ironic that this topic in on the board as I just walked in the door from finishing my first JV high school game. (I'm a newbie, in my second year). After reading this post, I believe I made a bad mistake tonight. The game was very close and the white team ended up winning by two. Anyway, during the 4th quarter, at blue's basket, a shot was missed, bounced high and rebounded by a blue player. She's holding it high above her head and the blue coach is screaming for a TO. As I'm raising my palm and blowing the whistle, a white player jumps high and snags the ball from the blue player. Now here I am granting a TO to the blue bench and white is holding the ball. My partner with 11 years experience comes running over and asks.."Whose ball is it coming in?" I said, blue because I granted the timeout prior to the white recovery. It's blue ball coming in. She said, "Are you sure"? Then I got really confused. After the TO, I gave the ball OOB to blue and the white team coach went nuts! I felt I had no choice in the matter. How could I have handled this better? What was the correct thing to do here? I feel I really messed up. HELP!
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

doghead,

If Blue had the ball when the TO was requested and you recognized the request, what happens after that is inmaterial. It's Blue's TO and their ball after the TO. Think about this. A player saves the ball from going OOB. While in the air he requests TO. He lands OOB before you grant his request. Is this his fault? No, it's not. Are you going to give him the TO? Yes, you are. It's the same principle.

I don't like the rule that allows coaches to call TO. We've discussed some of the reasons why here. Coaches have to understand that you would handle this sitch the same way every time, no matter who has the ball.

Tony
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
I agree with BktBallRef. The only thing I'll add is this. When you have a situation like that, it really keeps the heat off of you when you "sell" the timeout. As soon as you recognized the coach calling timeout, give a couple quick tweets on the mighty whistle and give a verbal "Timeout Blue!!" This will let all involved know that you had the TO before possession changed.

good luck
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

When reporting the TO to the table, should I have told white team coach that it will be blue ball OOB after timeout? And explain to him right then and there that the TO was granted prior to the change in possession. Would that have helped? Thanks again for you prompt response. You have no idea how helpful this board has been to me this past year!
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 08:38am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Recognize

Quote:
Originally posted by doghead
When reporting the TO to the table, should I have told white team coach that it will be blue ball OOB after timeout? And explain to him right then and there that the TO was granted prior to the change in possession. Would that have helped? Thanks again for you prompt response. You have no idea how helpful this board has been to me this past year!
doghead,
Telling White Coach that it was Blue ball may have eased your pain, who knows? Communication is one of our most important tools for game management. White Coach, also, may have asked, as well as, should have known, that he did not request a timeout. Communication is a two-way street.

To underline what Tony said, it would be useful to use the phrase, "...when the timeout request was recognized", as opposed to ...was granted. That buys us a little more leeway.

mick

Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Doghead,

A few thoughts on this. Firstly, did your partner run over
to you before or after the TO was reported & underway? If
before, then this might have added to your problem because
coach white could see there was some doubt between the
officials as to which way the ball should be going.
Secondly, if you use proper mechanics when reporting the
TO then there should be no reason to tell coach white that
he ain't getting the ball, although I'll admit in this case
I would make extra sure that he knows it before the TO begins. Coach white just might have gone nuts because he
used the TO setting up an offensive play. Anyway, the
proper mechanic is to give a looong blast on the whistle, come out of the crowd to about mid court and announce the TO while pointing to the bench getting the timeout. After
reporting the TO to the table loudly announce who gets the ball and point to the throw-in spot. Doing this usually prevents overly helpful partners from butting in their $.02
and it informs both coaches as to what happens when the ball
is made live agan. If there's a disagreement *you* (not
your partner) can clear it up before starting the TO clock.

If the play went as you describe then you got it right,
just need to communicate a little better is all (as others
have already said).

-Dan