View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

White has the ball and...?

This exact situation happened to me last night in a girls varsity game. There are 41 seconds left in 4th quarter and white leads with score 47-44. White has the ball in their front court; A1 shoots and ball is blocked by B1 OOB on baseline. I am trail, partner is lead. My partner has OOB call, gives proper mechanics and awards the ball to A for a designated spot throw-in in front court at baseline. After he gives A1 the ball, he propertly begins his 5-second court. I am still trail, table side. B Team coach is screaming for a time-out. I ignore it. My partner (I guess hears the request for a time-out) blows his whistle and grants request for time-out. I run to him loudly saying, "no time-out," but he's quick to the draw and says "time-out to green." The green team quickly runs to their bench. The white team (apparently befuddled) walks to their bench. My partner moves past me to report the time-out to table personnel but I intercede and briefly explain that Green cannot have a time-out. He knows he blew and asks, "What should I do now. I say it's too late to do anything else but grant the time-out. The White team won the game (47-44). Post game, my partner explained he granted the time-out because the ball was dead. A brief lesson on live ball/dead ball took place. I'm glad my partner was receptive. Moreso, I was happy the coach of the white team did not make a fuss.