View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 01:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
M,

He proceeded to tell me that he hadn't called a TO. I explained that I heard him say it at least 3 times and that I needed to grant him a TO. He pressed further and said that he was calling the offense as he didn't trust his PG to do..."FIVE OUT".
A few years ago I also had a coach who named a play "five out". The first time I heard it, I called a timeout. He protested, but I told him that there was no way in a loud gym that we could differentiate between "five out" and "timeout" and how would he feel if he yelled "timeout" and we thought he was just calling out a play? I suggested he change the name of the play, because we weren't going to change the name of the timeout.

He laughed and agree.

Kind of reminded me of an NFL game I saw on TV where the Packers used a hand signal in their two-minute, no huddle drill where Favre made a motion like a timeout signal and one was called, while he really was just calling a play. After the game, he said (kind of tongue-in-cheek) that the Packers probably should change their signal for that play.