View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Thumbs up

M,

I think you did the right thing...even though it isn't "the written law".

Just the other night, I had a big VG game between two good programs. In the 2nd quarter, the visiting team was bringing the ball up from the backcourt. Home team was up at the midcourt line. I was the trail, on BENCH side, working my way up the floor near the sideline in front of the visiting team's bench. Just as the guard crossed the hash mark, I could hear the coach (who was behind me) call what sounded like "timeout". At that time, I didn't grant the TO since I, 1.) didn't want to take my eyes off the meeting of the offense and defense that was about to occur, AND 2.) wasn't sure I had heard the definitive word "timeout".

The visiting coach called out the same thing, 2 more times. While turning around to look at him, I blew my whistle to grant him his TO. He proceeded to tell me that he hadn't called a TO. I explained that I heard him say it at least 3 times and that I needed to grant him a TO. He pressed further and said that he was calling the offense as he didn't trust his PG to do..."FIVE OUT". I pressed by saying, "Coach, I was sure I heard TO...and I must grant you a TO." He said, "I understand and can see why you may have misinterpreted, but I didn't want a TO." I told him to hold on so I could check and make sure that my partner hadn't heard him call TO or seen him make the gesture.

My partner said that he thought he heard TO, but when he glanced toward the bench did NOT see him signal. He re-iterated to me that I must grant if it's what I thought I heard...even if it wasn't fair. Even though I agreed, I thought I'd try something else. I called the two coaches together, explained to the home coach that I had screwed up by blowing my whistle thinking I should be granting a TO when in fact the opposing coach was simply calling his offense, and that I wanted to give the ball to the visiting team (as they did have control) at the spot nearest the out-of-bounds line. SHE agreed and accepted my explanation.

If she would have pressed it, I would have turned to the visiting coach and used the, "Coach, by rule..." statement.

Not text book, but I think I used good judgement.

Now, before the 3rd quarter started, I went to the visiting coach and explained that he was now in a precarious situation in that he might actually need to call a TO in a sticky situation INSTEAD of just calling his offensive play, and we officials may not grant it because what had happened. He laughed, agreed, and assured both me & my partner that if he really wanted a TO, he would be sure that we knew it.