Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 10:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
By what rule do we whack an assistant coach who, during a dead ball time out, comes onto the floor (assume no swearin'/ hollerin'/ intimidatin'/ trepidatin') to question a call?
It's a no-no under NFHS rule 10-5-2(a). Up to the discretion of the official, but the assistant coach has got no b*tch if he does happen to get nailed.By rule, he's not supposed to be out of the bench area during a time-out, and he's also not supposed to be questioning any official.
[/B]
Thanks, JR,
But 10-5-2(a) doesn't address any coach talking to an official during a dead ball time-out.
And, that bench area has really quite a lot of room to roam. From what I read, or do not read, if any coach wants to talk to an official from the bench area, they can go right to the free throw lane to chat. Now, that's way on the floor.
mick
[/B][/QUOTE]
R10-5-2(a) tells you exactly what a coach can do during a time-out. If they do anything else beside "confer with bench personnel and players within the confines of the bench area during a charged time-out", it's supposed to be a T.

I'm not saying a T should be called. I'm saying a T could be called,by rule.