The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
[Bob, I don't agree but that is OK. This is the way I've been taught and some of those lessons shouldn't be repeated in church if you know what I mean. If you can envision B1 slapping A1 on the arm as A1 is passing the ball to A2. While the pass is in the air the whistle blows. A split second later A2 has the ball shooting an uncontested layup. Why? If the foul was hard or intentional I agree with the whistle. If the ball goes out of bounds as a result of the contact I agree with the whistle. If the ball gets to the intended target and the contact was not hard or intentional I think you should let the team attempt the wide open shot.
I agree with what you say above, but I don't think that's what the question is asking.

Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 12:12pm
Huck Finn

Talking

Bob, then we are in perfect harmony!
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
To be clear on #2. I assume we are talking about a ball that is kicked when the ball is thrown. If the ball is released on the throw-in, the throw-in has ended, arrow switches, and the violation happens subsequent to the end of the throw-in. If the ball is kicked before the throwi-in has ended, then the ball was in the hands of the inbounder and it is an automatic T, arrow would not switch.
Actually, the throwin does not end on the release but when it is legally touched...inbounds or out...by a player other than the thrower or when a violation or foul occurs. A kick on the throwin pass ends the throwin at the time of the kick but the arrow will remain unchanged unless the kick is by the throwing team.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Nov 21st, 2003 at 02:02 PM]
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

My bad - so the kick is a non-legal touch and we don't switch the arrow.
Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

In NFHS the rule does not use the word legal. If the ball is touched, it is touched period. So in NFHS you DO switch the arrow on a kick, but in NCAA games (that rule does have the word legally in it) the arrow may not change. Ask Chuck for the NCAA interp.
Old Fri Nov 28, 2003, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
In NFHS the rule does not use the word legal. If the ball is touched, it is touched period. So in NFHS you DO switch the arrow on a kick, but in NCAA games (that rule does have the word legally in it) the arrow may not change. Ask Chuck for the NCAA interp.
The interps are the same -- the arrow switches when the ball is touched inbounds.

The subsequent throw-in is for the kicking violation; it's not an AP throw-in.