The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Question

Can someone help me out? Last night while watching a college game on TV, A1 shot a floater in the lane. The ball was released before contact, and A1 was called for a foul. In the past, the basket would count, and B1 would be awarded free throws if in the bonus. Did this rule change in the last couple of years? Is it an automatic wave-off and simply a team control foul on A1?
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
There hasn't been a change in that rule, as far as I know. If the shot is released before the contact, you penalize the foul and count the basket.

My experience is that unless the shot is obviously in the air, the official will wave it off. But by rule, if it's in the air, it should count.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Can someone help me out? Last night while watching a college game on TV, A1 shot a floater in the lane. The ball was released before contact, and A1 was called for a foul. In the past, the basket would count, and B1 would be awarded free throws if in the bonus. Did this rule change in the last couple of years? Is it an automatic wave-off and simply a team control foul on A1?
Was this a men's or a women's game? The rule (foul by an airborne shooter) is different.

Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Was this a men's or a women's game? The rule (foul by an airborne shooter) is different.
Sigh. I keep forgetting that the women play a different game.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

It was a men's game...Texas Tech vs. Davidson last night. the lead official waved it off and went behind his head immediately, even though it was quite obvious the shot had been released well before the contact occurred.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

I saw this play too. They simply got it wrong. The announcer babbled about how in the past this basket would have counted. He is the one who confused you. There has been no rule change and Davidson clearly got cheated out of 2 points.