The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Smile

Well had my first basketball games tonight. 4 game Jr High set. Went well overall with the last game ending with a 33-32 score.

Things I learned:
1. bring a towel to the game to wipe sweat off. Never realized how much my baseball and football hats are a benefit in that reguard.

2. need to really be more patient on pointing. I would get the color right on a call but a couple times I pointed the wrong way.

3. When I do point, need to remember to stay "open" to the court. Turned my back a few times.

4. Work with a vet as opposed to another rookie. We were not "smooth" on rotations a couple times. It led to us both being on the same side of the court a couple times only to try and shift over in the middle of play.

5. loud a$$ buzzer goes off for a first warning signal on a time out. Silly for an official to walk up to a huddle of players and coaches and say "first horn coach".. Like DUH!!!! I am sure there is a reason but never been obvious to me, even when I played.

6. Not anything new learned here but, fans are the real blind ones and idiots. Coaches alot of times really know the deal, but will argue just to try to "work" and official. I can deal with that, but amazing how fans do not have a clue.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
5. loud a$$ buzzer goes off for a first warning signal on a time out. Silly for an official to walk up to a huddle of players and coaches and say "first horn coach".. Like DUH!!!! I am sure there is a reason but never been obvious to me, even when I played.
This is one mechanic that I refuse to follow. I agree that it is silly. I figure that if I can hear the horn, so can the teams. You will be amazed how much their hearing improves after you put the ball in play immediately following the second horn!

FYI, this first horn mechanic was only put in a couple of years ago. I can't fathom why. Must be because the rules are written by a bunch of coaches and ADs.

PS Why in the hell do you work a 4 game set!?
Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 07:02am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
This is one mechanic that I refuse to follow. I agree that it is silly. I figure that if I can hear the horn, so can the teams. You will be amazed how much their hearing improves after you put the ball in play immediately following the second horn!

I think it's kinda like living next to a railroad track.
After some length of time, you don't notice the train.
mick
Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
5. Loud a$$ buzzer goes off for a first warning signal on a time out. Silly for an official to walk up to a huddle of players and coaches and say "first horn coach".. Like DUH!!!! I am sure there is a reason but never been obvious to me, even when I played.
I wouldn't say I like this mechanic...but it is a mechanic. If you don't want to say "First horn!" then pick something different...perhaps, "Let's go! So & so's ball on the baseline!" That way, when your partner puts the ball down you can defend it better by saying, "I reminded you coach...and you decided not to listen..."

Don't be an a$$ if you don't have to be.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

First Horn...

Well said Mick. I've had instances where even after having gone to the huddles and indicating first horn, once the second horn goes off and we get ready to inbound, the coach is yelling he never heard the first horn. As far as Nevada's comment on refusing to follow a mechanic, not sure why you would do that. It only opens yourself up to a coach blaming you for not warning him on the first horn. Nothing but trouble can come out of that.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

I appreciate it when the official makes the effort to let me know about the first horn. To make good use of the 60 seconds, a coach has to be able to block out the distractions (especially when the bench is the bottom row of the bleachers) and it is much easier to miss the horn than you might imagine. I've got an assistant coach assigned to tap me a couple of seconds after that horn, but it helps him and me to have a voice in our ear as well.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 10:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

I think it's kinda like living next to a railroad track.
After some length of time, you don't notice the train.
Even when the train is usually off the track?
Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: First Horn...

Quote:
Originally posted by NCAAREF
Well said Mick. I've had instances where even after having gone to the huddles and indicating first horn, once the second horn goes off and we get ready to inbound, the coach is yelling he never heard the first horn. As far as Nevada's comment on refusing to follow a mechanic, not sure why you would do that. It only opens yourself up to a coach blaming you for not warning him on the first horn. Nothing but trouble can come out of that.
....especially if you're so eager to put the ball on the floor.

Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
2. need to really be more patient on pointing. I would get the color right on a call but a couple times I pointed the wrong way.
Couple of points here: The way to master this concept (it has taken me four years!) is to develop a couple of habits.
1. ALWAYS either point first and then yell the color, or yell first and then point. For me, it's easier to point first, thinking frantically, then yell color when I'm sure. You may be different. But choose one method, and stick to it.
2. Remember that most calls where you need to indicate a direction are going to be violations, and thus against the offense, thus going defense direction. Notice I didn't say "all". There are fouls before the bonus, and there are AP calls. Back court violations will mostly go toward the defense, but that won't be the opposite end of the court. SO there are no easy mindless signals. but in general, if you come up pointing toward defense, think fast, and then yell color, you won't be too far wrong.
3. ALWAYS double check as the ball is coming back into play that you and/or your partner got it right. NEVER let your team hand off to the wrong team.

Here's a good "called the wrong color" story. I was at camp maybe my second year with varsity boys playing, I was in way over my head. My last game, tired, overwhelmed, emotional, confused. The ball sailed out of bounds, I stopped the clock, and yelled, "Red ball!!" Only problem was that the teams were blue and white. Got a good laugh.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Couple of points here: The way to master this concept (it has taken me four years!) is to develop a couple of habits.
1. ALWAYS either point first and then yell the color, or yell first and then point. For me, it's easier to point first, thinking frantically, then yell color when I'm sure. You may be different. But choose one method, and stick to it.

I prefer color first and then point (if I can figure it out). I find this to be especially true as Lead for those OOB plays on the end line - I know who it went off of so now I need to figure out direction but I always stick with the color I originally called.

Here's a good "called the wrong color" story. I was at camp maybe my second year with varsity boys playing, I was in way over my head. My last game, tired, overwhelmed, emotional, confused. The ball sailed out of bounds, I stopped the clock, and yelled, "Red ball!!" Only problem was that the teams were blue and white. Got a good laugh.

Which direction did you point? Very Patriotic though!
Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
Hey there Cowboy.
You said that you have played basketball. If you were shooting a free throw were you able to hear all the noise from the crowd ?
I believe the buzzer to a coach durring time outs is the same way. They are concentration on what they are doing and block everything else out. Do yourself a favor and give them the 1st buzzer signal/ warning and it will save you from ever getting in trouble with a coach / team comming out late from a time out. Even if it just saves you once....... It is well worth it.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches will take as long as you let them

They hear the buzzer, but will not think they need to break until sometime after the second buzzer. I have found that coaches get their players on the court faster when I remind them at first buzzer.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
point taken on the first buzzer mechanic. Will make sure I do it.

it was a 4 game set as it was 7th and 8th grade boys and girls. 6 min qtrs, so not too bad, tho I did find I am not in as good a shape as I thought following football season. Will be working on that.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

I had my first real games of the season tonight. I was glad--doing scrimmages was getting boring.

I had a Girls 9th and Girls Varsity.

Girls 9th was alright--it was my partner's first game since sitting out for several years. He was kind of rusty and admitted it. But it was a blowout--48-6.

Girls Varsity was much better. Not a blowout until the 4th quarter. This was a 3-person game that went really smooth. Good start for the season.

Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
1. ALWAYS either point first and then yell the color, or yell first and then point.
Juulie's point is a good one: don't try to do everything at once. To me, this problem (and yes, I have it too, although I'm getting better) is the best reason to keep the "stop the clock" mechanic on OOB calls. It slows me down, and that extra second while my hand is in the air gives my brain time to process what has to happen next. It even allows me to glance at the benches to see which way "red" is going this half, if I've lost track.

I know the really cool guys on TV don't stop the clock much anymore, but it helps me.

[Edited by ChuckElias on Nov 19th, 2003 at 06:07 AM]