Thread: First games
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Couple of points here: The way to master this concept (it has taken me four years!) is to develop a couple of habits.
1. ALWAYS either point first and then yell the color, or yell first and then point. For me, it's easier to point first, thinking frantically, then yell color when I'm sure. You may be different. But choose one method, and stick to it.

I prefer color first and then point (if I can figure it out). I find this to be especially true as Lead for those OOB plays on the end line - I know who it went off of so now I need to figure out direction but I always stick with the color I originally called.

Here's a good "called the wrong color" story. I was at camp maybe my second year with varsity boys playing, I was in way over my head. My last game, tired, overwhelmed, emotional, confused. The ball sailed out of bounds, I stopped the clock, and yelled, "Red ball!!" Only problem was that the teams were blue and white. Got a good laugh.

Which direction did you point? Very Patriotic though!