Thread: First games
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
2. need to really be more patient on pointing. I would get the color right on a call but a couple times I pointed the wrong way.
Couple of points here: The way to master this concept (it has taken me four years!) is to develop a couple of habits.
1. ALWAYS either point first and then yell the color, or yell first and then point. For me, it's easier to point first, thinking frantically, then yell color when I'm sure. You may be different. But choose one method, and stick to it.
2. Remember that most calls where you need to indicate a direction are going to be violations, and thus against the offense, thus going defense direction. Notice I didn't say "all". There are fouls before the bonus, and there are AP calls. Back court violations will mostly go toward the defense, but that won't be the opposite end of the court. SO there are no easy mindless signals. but in general, if you come up pointing toward defense, think fast, and then yell color, you won't be too far wrong.
3. ALWAYS double check as the ball is coming back into play that you and/or your partner got it right. NEVER let your team hand off to the wrong team.

Here's a good "called the wrong color" story. I was at camp maybe my second year with varsity boys playing, I was in way over my head. My last game, tired, overwhelmed, emotional, confused. The ball sailed out of bounds, I stopped the clock, and yelled, "Red ball!!" Only problem was that the teams were blue and white. Got a good laugh.