The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 29, 2024, 01:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Team Control Foul Signals

Official calls team control foul, let's say an illegal screen.

At spot of foul, signal fist in air, verbally announce color and number, team control foul signal, signal direction and throwin spot (perhaps verbally adding color of team now in possession).

Calling official heads to the reporting area, stops, verbally indicates color, verbally and by two handed signal indicates number, verbally and by signal indicates team control foul (hand behind head), and then indicates spot of throwin (perhaps verbally adding color of team now in possession).

At the spot of the foul (preliminary signals), or in the reporting area, are there any NFHS mechanics that encourage, or discourage, additional clarifying verbiage or signals: block, push, hold, "Illegal screen", etc.?

Does only the verbiage and signal of a team control foul (hand behind head) suffice?

Citations please (please copy and paste, I don't have access to a NFHS mechanics manual).

Same question for IAABO mechanics.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 01, 2024 at 10:15am.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2024, 08:32am
Do not give a damn!!

I do not know of any procedure that states what you say specifically at the reporting area. Most people say the signal, but I would suggest you say what actually happened. I might say illegal screen but if they do something else I would add that like, "Illegal wide screen." No one cares where I live about a descriptive term at the table when reporting. The more information the better.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 30, 2024, 12:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The More Information The Better ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The more information the better.
I agree.

However, in a recent IAABO video, we have been told to only give the team control foul signal, nothing else.

Supposedly a relatively new IAABO mechanic and signal sequence, I disagree with it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Sep 30, 2024, 01:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Charge ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Does only the verbiage and signal of a team control foul suffice?
For over forty years our local guys, including me, on "train wreck" block charge plays, when choosing to call a charge, only come up with the "hand behind the head" player control foul signal, many often verbalizing "Charge".

We, here in my little corner of Connecticut, seem to forget that charge and player control foul are two completely different signals.

Don't know of any guys that do both signals when appropriate.

Well, as we say, when in my little corner of Connecticut ...

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 30, 2024 at 01:21pm.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2024, 01:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

More Information ...

Quote:
...in a recent IAABO video, we have been told to only give the team control foul signal, nothing else. Supposedly a relatively new IAABO mechanic and signal sequence, I disagree with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The more information the better.
My preliminary (spot of foul) is usually team control foul signal (hand behind head) and verbiage, and then verbalizing "illegal screen".

Reporting to table, team control foul signal (hand behind head) and verbiage, and "illegal screen" verbiage, often add a block, push, or hold signal, maybe with appropriate verbiage with the given signal.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 01, 2024 at 10:16am.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2024, 02:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I agree.

However, in a recent IAABO video, we have been told to only give the team control foul signal, nothing else.

Supposedly a relatively new IAABO mechanic and signal sequence, I disagree with it.
I do not think it is a hard fast rule in my state, but there is nothing that I am aware of that eliminates what we did before and giving the kind of foul as we always were supposed to. The only difference is the actual signal for TC foul.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 01, 2024, 10:09am
Esteemed Forum Member

Player Control ...

Quote:
For over forty years our local guys, including me, on "train wreck" block charge plays, when choosing to call a charge, only come up with the "hand behind the head" player control foul signal, many often verbalizing "Charge".
For some reason (maybe a constructive criticism from a more experienced official), back when I was a young official, I started to always verbalize "Player Control" (not "Charge") on "train wreck" block charge plays at the site of foul (preliminary signal) and while reporting.

Made sense to me use a matching signal (hand behind the head) and verbiage.

Old Wed Oct 02, 2024, 07:01pm
Administrator

The Ancient Days

In The Ancient Days (Which was NBC Days before the NHFS and NCAA Men's Committees.) the correct Signaling Mechanic at the Table was to give both the PCF Signal followed by the Type of Foul Signal. Notice that I only mentioned PCFs and not TCFs because the Signaling Mechanic was for PCFs only not TCFs.

Personal NOTE: Even after the Type of Foul Signal requirement was removed for the Signaling Mechanic, I continued to use if the PCF was not a Charging Foul, e.g., Blocking or Holding (swim stroke).

When the NFHS added (ten years or so ago) a TCF Signal for non-PCF TCFs I also included the Type of Foul Signal.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Oct 18, 2024, 10:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS Signal ...

Thanks to Mike Goodwin: