The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 29, 2024, 08:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Faking Being Fouled ...

IAABO, in a recent Make The Call Video Summary, issued the following interesting statement:

It should also be noted, that if indeed illegal contact occurred by the defender on this play, the only infraction that can be ruled would be the foul by the defender. So in this case, if the shooter "embellishes" the illegal contact after the fact, even though he may be faking, the NFHS is only requiring the officials to make one ruling on the play.

Nice to see in writing that no matter how much the player (in this case a shooter) "embellishes" or “fakes”, if the “embellishing” or “faking” was subsequent to actual illegal contact, nor matter how slight, officials are to only charge the illegal contact foul and are to ignore the “faking”.

I wonder if the NFHS will make such a similar clarifying statement?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Aug 29, 2024, 11:31am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
IAABO, in a recent Make The Call Video Summary, issued the following interesting statement:

It should also be noted, that if indeed illegal contact occurred by the defender on this play, the only infraction that can be ruled would be the foul by the defender. So in this case, if the shooter "embellishes" the illegal contact after the fact, even though he may be faking, the NFHS is only requiring the officials to make one ruling on the play.

Nice to see in writing that no matter how much the player (in this case a shooter) "embellishes" or “fakes”, if the “embellishing” or “faking” was subsequent to actual illegal contact, nor matter how slight, officials are to only charge the illegal contact foul and are to ignore the “faking”.

I wonder if the NFHS will make such a similar clarifying statement?
I do not think this is any different with the NF in the position they are taking. The NCAA were this came from did not want us to make 2 rulings on these plays. It is one thing if you are fouled, but if you are not, call the flop if they embellish any contact or no contact.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 29, 2024, 02:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Basketball Stuffed Or Inflated ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not think this is any different with the NF in the position they are taking. The NCAA were this came from did not want us to make 2 rulings on these plays. It is one thing if you are fouled, but if you are not, call the flop if they embellish any contact or no contact.
Agree.

I hate to say it, but we've got a few local guys, you know the type, the guys that don't know if the basketball is stuffed or inflated, the guys that I occasionally have as partners in my middle school games, that might try to call both the foul and the fake.

I assume that many local associations have a few of these guys?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Aug 29, 2024, 03:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree.

I hate to say it, but we've got a few local guys, you know the type, the guys that don't know if the basketball is stuffed or inflated, the guys that I occasionally have as partners in my middle school games, that might try to call both the foul and the fake.

I assume that many local associations have a few of these guys?
That is their problem. If they cannot read or follow the intention of the rules, why do you or I care? The whole rule and philosophy comes from the college ranks in writing.

Funny that the NF is taking on this rule but the NCAA is backing away from it in most cases.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 29, 2024, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

That depends on which side you are talking about. NCAAM, you might have a point there. It was a big thing for a few years, but once the men got rid of the warning and immediately went to a Class B technical foul, there weren't as many called. Maybe that could also be because players and coaches have adjusted to the existence of an actual flopping rule.

In NCAAW games, I have called flop warnings and have seen other officials call them. I had a technical foul for it (2nd offense) once in a scrimmage. Usually, teams will get the message the 1st time their player gets called for it.
Old Thu Aug 29, 2024, 06:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
That depends on which side you are talking about. NCAAM, you might have a point there. It was a big thing for a few years, but once the men got rid of the warning and immediately went to a Class B technical foul, there weren't as many called. Maybe that could also be because players and coaches have adjusted to the existence of an actual flopping rule.

In NCAAW games, I have called flop warnings and have seen other officials call them. I had a technical foul for it (2nd offense) once in a scrimmage. Usually, teams will get the message the 1st time their player gets called for it.
The rule came from Men's basketball. It was there before any other level in the United States and the procedures that were adopted. The Women's adopted it just last year. And Men's NCAA had it for some years and backed off the warning part. I think the NF adopted that part because it would be harder to see it called if you only called a T for the first offense.

And I am going to say this again, the Men's side is kind of going away from this being called. They want us to do all kinds of things to avoid calling a bunch of these, especially with the "head bob." And the NCAA made it clear they do not want us calling two violations. Pick one and if you can call a block on a block-charge play, do that.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 31, 2024, 10:39pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:

I wonder if any parts of Rome will encourage officials to call the foul and talk to the player during the dead ball about not embellishing the contact.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Sep 01, 2024, 10:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Preventive Officiating ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
I wonder if any parts of Rome will encourage officials to call the foul and talk to the player during the dead ball about not embellishing the contact.
I know that I will, no matter where I live.

Just a quiet chat, one on one, especially if my partner is reporting.

My middle school games usually have plenty of "teachable moments".

I'm a retired thirty year veteran middle school teacher, that's why they assign me these games (also because I have severe arthritis in my right foot).

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 01, 2024 at 10:26am.