The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 28, 2024, 01:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Held Ball ???

4-25-1: A held ball occurs when: Opponents have their hands so firmly on the ball that control cannot be obtained without undue roughness.

Saw these similar plays twice last night in a state tournament game officiated by two of our best officials, and good friends of mine, one a state final official last season.

A1 and B1 simultaneously grab a rebound, with both having two hands firmly on the ball. In both plays A1 did not move her feet at all during the play. In the first play, B1 tried to pull the ball away from A1, was unable to do so, and took some extra steps while trying to pivot. In the second play, B1 tried to pull the ball away from A1, was unable to do so, and took some extra steps while trying, in vain, to start a dribble.

Both plays were called in a split second as a travel by B1, in both cases with the whistle sounding with all four hands still firmly on the ball.

From the bleachers, I viewed both of these as held balls (opponents … hands so firmly on the ball that control cannot be obtained without undue roughness).

Am I wrong?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 28, 2024 at 05:10pm.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2024, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Its a judgement call as to when that threshold has been reached. Some officials deem it to be a lower threshold than others and if the temperature of the game is turning up, the threshold goes down even further.
Old Thu Feb 29, 2024, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
... Some officials deem it to be a lower threshold than others and if the temperature of the game is turning up, the threshold goes down even further.
The threshold is already pretty low in a girls game to begin with.
Old Thu Feb 29, 2024, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

When it comes to player control, I treat travels the same was as time out requests. One player must be in control of the ball, not two opponents.
Old Thu Feb 29, 2024, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

I think of it the same way as ChuckS.

In your case it was on a simultaneous rebound. This is about as pure of a case as you can get for a held ball, since no possession had been established.