The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 09, 2023, 11:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
This is because many college officials are using precision timing and are using the off-hand to start the clock. Not something we are regularly to be concerned with at the HS level - though the first time you do use this device, figuring out how to chop, count AND start the clock is a bit of an awkward adventure lol
The fist chop is being used even by officials who do put an open hand up.

My highest level college supervisor hated it, so I never used that mechanic

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Thu Mar 09, 2023, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Zoochy: What's wrong with a shoulder height count? That's the correct height in IAABO mechanics (signals). Not sure about NFHS.

The count is not the issue. It is the lack of the chop to start the clock. They just drop the arm

Last edited by Zoochy; Thu Mar 09, 2023 at 01:50pm.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2023, 02:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tomahawk Chop ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
It is the lack of the chop to start the clock. They just drop the arm
If the elbow drops 90 degrees, bends, and then unbends to drop the forearm, that has to be considered some type of chop.

Even if they don't bend the elbow and somehow allow gravity to rotate the entire straight arm down 180 degrees from the shoulder, that has to be considered some type of chop.

Right?

How can one's hand go from fully up in the air to down near one's hip without something that looks like some type of a chop?

As the trail, after a final free throw, it the ball misses and is rebounded, I swiftly drop my arm down, bending it at my elbow, and then swiftly, and with emphasis, unbend my elbow, a "fast chop".

As the trail, after a final free throw, it the ball goes in I just slowly drop my arm straight down, bending it at my elbow, but then have to slowly, with no emphasis, unbend my elbow, which is kind of a "slow chop".

Is that what you're talking about, not the actual movement itself, but the speed and emphasis of the movement?

Note: Back in ancient times, on a made free throw, we had to drop our arm and make a "one point" signal. Nevermore.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 09, 2023 at 02:39pm.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2023, 04:04am
Official Forum Member

About ten to fifteen years ago, I was the timekeeper for a middle school game featuring a crew that was "too lazy" to chop. The R complained when I started the clock "early" on a late throw-in (I thought it was touched, he didn't.)

That's why you use signals.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2023, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBCrazy View Post
About ten to fifteen years ago, I was the timekeeper for a middle school game featuring a crew that was "too lazy" to chop. The R complained when I started the clock "early" on a late throw-in (I thought it was touched, he didn't.)

That's why you use signals.
Unless it's in the last ten seconds of a period, it's impossible to start the clock "early" during a JH game.