The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 07, 2023, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA - signals/mechanics

I notice officials at high school games DO NOT always use the NFHS signals/mechanics.
They DO NOT raise the hand to stop the clock when the ball goes Out-of-Bounds. They just point. They tend to just give signals w/o raising hand on other violations too.
Similar on Player/Team Control Fouls, they just point.
On administrating Throw-ins, they just do a shoulder height count.
There are other differences, but they escape my brain right now.
Is this just on the women side or also on the men side?
Old Tue Mar 07, 2023, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
I notice officials at high school games DO NOT always use the NFHS signals/mechanics.
They DO NOT raise the hand to stop the clock when the ball goes Out-of-Bounds. They just point. They tend to just give signals w/o raising hand on other violations too.
Similar on Player/Team Control Fouls, they just point.
There are other differences, but they escape my brain right now.
Is this just on the women side or also on the men side?
The dual-level officials I work with here in Interior Alaska do everything you've described. One works HS/NCAA-W/NCAA-M and doesn't mix any signals.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2023, 09:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

NCAA-Men's and NFHS have very similar mechanics and signals. NCAA-Men's has a few more descriptive foul signals.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Tue Mar 07, 2023, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Other stuff observed
Bounce the Ball to self, Blow the whistle or is it Blow the Whistle then bounce the ball to self before handing the ball to the Thrower for each Throw-in
On Back Court throw-ins from the endline. The official will bounce the ball across the painted area
We do not have a shot clock in Missouri for NFHS games, but I DO NOT see these officials with a count in the Back Court. I assume because the shot clock determines a Back Court violation.

Last edited by Zoochy; Tue Mar 07, 2023 at 10:55pm.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2023, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Some states areas change the mechanics.

Some states / areas care about correct mechanics more than others.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2023, 08:15am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Other stuff observed
Bounce the Ball to self, Blow the whistle or is it Blow the Whistle then bounce the ball to self before handing the ball to the Thrower for each Throw-in
On Back Court throw-ins from the endline. The official will bounce the ball across the painted area
We do not have a shot clock in Missouri for NFHS games, but I DO NOT see these officials with a count in the Back Court. I assume because the shot clock determines a Back Court violation.
Bouncing the ball to yourself is not part of anybody's mechanics. If that's what officials are doing, it has nothing to do with what level they are working.

Bouncing the ball across the paint for a back court throw-in needs to be a NFHS mechanic.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2023, 09:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Men's mechanics mirror HS mechanics so much, rarely do I have to do anything different. Still have to stop the clock and still have to give most of the signals. The only thing that is with signals big, is the preliminary signal is not a required thing at the NCAA level.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 08, 2023, 11:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Shoulder Height Count ...

Quote:
Zoochy: What's wrong with a shoulder height count? That's the correct height in IAABO mechanics (signals). Not sure about NFHS.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Mar 08, 2023, 11:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Rome ...

Quote:
I assume because the shot clock determines a Back Court violation.
By NFHS rules, it does in shot clock games. But of course, this may vary from state to state.

NFHS Shot Clock Guidelines - Officials' General Duties - Use the shot clock to administer the 10-second backcourt count (9-8). Use a silent, visible 10-second count when there is no shot clock visible. - The Shot-Clock Operator Shall: Use the shot clock the entire game, including extra periods, except when there is less time remaining on the game clock than on the shot clock or in cases where 5-5-3 Note has been implemented. In these cases, the shot clock shall be turned off.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Mar 08, 2023, 11:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

Same ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Zoochy: What's wrong with a shoulder height count? That's the correct height in IAABO mechanics (signals). Not sure about NFHS.
Same for NFHS.

Old Wed Mar 08, 2023, 02:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Whistle While You Work ...

Quote:
Bounce the Ball to self, Blow the whistle or is it Blow the Whistle then bounce the ball to self before handing the ball to the Thrower for each Throw-in ...
Compared to ancient times, I'm seeing more than a few local officials (including state tournament officials) sound whistles before almost every throwin. We were originally taught, first with NFHS mechanics, and later with IAABO mechanics, to only sound our whistles before a throwin after every timeout, to start each period, and after any unusual delay.

I also believe that IAABO mechanics require a whistle before administering a free throw following a timeout, but we don't have too many local guys complying, including me.

Also have noticed a few of our local guys sounding whistles on almost all substitute beckons. Sometimes this is necessary to signal our partner to stop the administration of a throwin, or a free throw, as a substitute reports to the table, or a whistle to signal a substitute who is ready on the "X" but who may not be paying attention for a visual beckon signal; but what I'm seeing is an official using a whistle to signal a "garden variety" substitute to enter, not a "hold" signal to a partner, or a "wake up" signal to a substitute.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 08, 2023 at 03:03pm.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2023, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

By "just" I assume the original poster means they are NOT starting/chopping the clock.

As for not counting the backcourt, if there is no pressure I don't have a visible count. I keep one mentally in case something odd happens, but I don't feel the need to swing my arm 4-5 times when there is a near 100% certainty the ball is crossing well before a violation.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2023, 03:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sorry Zoochy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
By "just" I assume the original poster means they are NOT starting/chopping the clock.
Thanks MechanicGuy. I reread the post and now it makes more sense. Sorry Zoochy.

While I realize that timekeepers, in most circumstances, are probably watching the ball and not the administering official's "chop" on almost all throwins, for almost all officials it's an "automatic" signal, embedded deeply in our DNA over many years of experience. Don't understand why an official would avoid doing it?

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 08, 2023 at 03:16pm.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2023, 03:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post

As for not counting the backcourt, if there is no pressure I don't have a visible count. I keep one mentally in case something odd happens, but I don't feel the need to swing my arm 4-5 times when there is a near 100% certainty the ball is crossing well before a violation.
Quote:
Thanks MechanicGuy. I reread the post and now it makes more sense. Sorry Zoochy.

While I realize that timekeepers, in most circumstances, are probably watching the ball and not the administering official's "chop" on almost all throwins, for almost all officials it's an "automatic" signal, embedded deeply in our DNA over many years of experience. Don't understand why an official would avoid doing it?
The "chop" is done with the same hand that does the count, but instead of a chopping motion, a fist is formed just above shoulder level while flexing the bicep.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2023, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The "chop" is done with the same hand that does the count, but instead of a chopping motion, a fist is formed just above shoulder level while flexing the bicep.
This is because many college officials are using precision timing and are using the off-hand to start the clock. Not something we are regularly to be concerned with at the HS level - though the first time you do use this device, figuring out how to chop, count AND start the clock is a bit of an awkward adventure lol