The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 23, 2022, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Maui Invitational

Who is the female official working the Maui Invitational? Currently working Louisville v. SDSU game on ESPNU.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2022, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
Who is the female official working the Maui Invitational? Currently working Louisville v. SDSU game on ESPNU.
Do you mean the game against Cincinnati? If so the stats summary listed the officials and Amy Bonner was the female official working that game.

http://archive.statbroadcast.com/435...NzMxNS4wLjAuMA..
Old Tue Nov 29, 2022, 11:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Seeing who are partners were and having heard her name before, she would be part of the ACC consortium.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Tue Nov 29, 2022, 12:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Seeing who are partners were and having heard her name before, she would be part of the ACC consortium.
She is in the Big East I believe (still the ACC Consortium) but has been for a few years (I know you know this but not everyone else does).

A couple of women got hired in the B1G Consortium too this summer. So very interesting, I just hope they hired them so they will not fail. Amy has done well it appears.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 29, 2022, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

I love seeing this development in basketball and in football (and in maybe other sports as well). It's one thing to have female officials. It's another thing altogether to have female officials working men's contests, because like it or not, that's where the vast majority of viewership (and hence visibility) is. That's the golden ticket to recruiting good new officials (which we desperately need nationwide) from a whole half of the population that the avocation tends to overlook.

I think we're within 2-3 years of having a female white hat in the NFL that has earned the promotion solely on merit. Wouldn't that be something. I'm actually surprised I haven't seen one yet in a college football TV game, though maybe it has happened and that channel just wasn't in my cable package!
Old Wed Nov 30, 2022, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Amanda Sauer (now Amanda Sauer-Cook) wore the white hat for an Ohio State spring game.
Here is the link to that article about Amanda. She is now a center judge in the XFL and a part of the NFL Officiating Development Program.

As an aside, I worked a D3 game where the white hat was the wife of a current NFL official. I would not be too surprised to see more women in football, including wearing the white hat.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2022, 09:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

You've Come A Long Way Baby ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
It's one thing to have female officials. It's another thing altogether to have female officials working men's contests, because like it or not, that's where the vast majority of viewership (and hence visibility) is. That's the golden ticket to recruiting good new officials (which we desperately need nationwide) from a whole half of the population that the avocation tends to overlook.
My daughter played many years of interscholastic basketball in middle school (and travel basketball) and high school as well as several years of top level AAU up and down the East Coast from Maine to Virginia, as well as an international tournament in Spain, ending her "career" before college in the early 2000's (probably a total of about 250 games with "board certified" officials).

I don't believe that she ever had more than a handful (meaning low single digits) of female officials in all of her games.

When I started officiating back in the early 1980's, my local board, that officiated both boys and girls interscholastic games, was 100% male. I'm guessing that now about 10% of our local members are female, and we've had a female president, and a female interpreter.

Nice to see times changing.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 30, 2022 at 05:25pm.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2022, 09:44am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I love seeing this development in basketball and in football (and in maybe other sports as well). It's one thing to have female officials. It's another thing altogether to have female officials working men's contests
Today will be the first time that 3 female officials will work a men's World Cup game. The on-field official and both Assistant Referees will be women.