The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 20, 2022, 12:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Double Edged Sword ...

We had our mandatory new rules local meeting last night.

Our local (not state) interpreter announced that when Connecticut goes to the shot clock next year that we will still (contrary to NFHS shot clock guidelines) always be using a visible 10 second hand count.

I’m not sure that I was pleased to hear that. It’s a double edged sword.

On one hand it will force us to have a more accurate visible count because everybody in the gym will be watching for the shot clock to wind down to twenty-five seconds.

On the other hand, it will allow officials to continue to use the NFHS ten second rule as written (starting on possession) versus using the NFHS shot clock rule (starting on touch). This will be especially relevant on muffed catches of the inbounded ball, with the ball “pinballing” on the floor for a second, or two, before a possession.

Which is best, using the shot clock for ten second violations (starting on touch), or always using a visible ten second count (starting on possession)?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 20, 2022, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

On the other hand, it will allow officials to continue to use the NFHS ten second rule as written (starting on possession) versus using the NFHS shot clock rule (starting on touch).
Not necessarily. You (meaning CT) could decide to start the count on first touch.

And, by the time next year rolls around CT could change it's stance on this.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2022, 01:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Losing Sleep ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Not necessarily. You (meaning CT) could decide to start the count on first touch. And, by the time next year rolls around CT could change it's stance on this.
Yeah, best to be patient and wait, nothing to lose sleep over.

We were also told that any subvarsity officials in the audience that were thinking that they don't have to worry about shot clock rules next year (only mandatory for varsity games in Connecticut) better think twice. Shot clocks will be optional in freshman and junior varsity games based on decisions of the involved coaches.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 20, 2022 at 04:18pm.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2022, 02:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Yeah, best to be patient and wait, nothing to lose sleep over.
Nothing we discuss here is ever serious enough to lose sleep over or fret about the "what-ifs".
Old Thu Oct 20, 2022, 02:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Never Had A Dream Come True (Stevie Wonder, 1970) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Nothing we discuss here is ever serious enough to lose sleep over or fret about the "what-ifs".
While I didn't lose any sleep, my recent "Delay Throwin Or Free Throw" thread was sparked by a dream that I had the night before. In the dream I was officiating and both teams kept delaying, forcing me to use the resumption-of-play procedure over and over again. The dream was certainly sparked by a coach's question about delays after a presentation that I made of my "Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules" to a group of Christian school basketball league coaches.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 20, 2022 at 04:27pm.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2022, 04:48pm
Ok is the new good

We have used the shot clock for almost 20 years hear in California. I still use the visible 10 second count because some of the young folks doing the shot clock at the table are not very good and have frequent mistakes.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2022, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We had our mandatory new rules local meeting last night.

Our local (not state) interpreter announced that when Connecticut goes to the shot clock next year that we will still (contrary to NFHS shot clock guidelines) always be using a visible 10 second hand count.

I’m not sure that I was pleased to hear that. It’s a double edged sword.

On one hand it will force us to have a more accurate visible count because everybody in the gym will be watching for the shot clock to wind down to twenty-five seconds.

On the other hand, it will allow officials to continue to use the NFHS ten second rule as written (starting on possession) versus using the NFHS shot clock rule (starting on touch). This will be especially relevant on muffed catches of the inbounded ball, with the ball “pinballing” on the floor for a second, or two, before a possession.

Which is best, using the shot clock for ten second violations (starting on touch), or always using a visible ten second count (starting on possession)?
MD used to do what your local interpreter said for boys games. Now, we follow the NFHS shot clock rules with a 30-second shot clock.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2022, 09:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

Math-Impaired Fans ...

Quote:
... when Connecticut goes to the shot clock next year that we will still (contrary to NFHS shot clock guidelines) always be using a visible 10 second hand count ... it will force us to have a more accurate visible count because everybody in the gym will be watching for the shot clock to wind down to twenty-five seconds.
Of course for the past century, fans could have been using the game clock to check the accuracy of an official's visible ten second count. The shot clock just makes it a easier for math-impaired fans.

Old Fri Oct 21, 2022, 02:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Somebody's Watching The Game Clock ...

Quote:
Of course for the past century, fans could have been using the game clock to check the accuracy of an official's visible ten second count. The shot clock just makes it a easier for math-impaired fans.
Thirty-five years ago I had a coach challenge me on a ten second violation. It was after a made free throw and he claimed that only seven seconds passed based on the game clock. I figured that the game clock maybe starting late combined with maybe a slightly fast count by me could account for three seconds difference, so I dismissed his complaint, which led to him being charged with a technical foul.

Discussed the situation with my partner on the ride home after the game. We concluded that, instead of two separate counts, I "added" my five second throwin count to my ten second backcourt count.

I had to apologize the the coach the next time I saw him.

This is why IAABO mechanics (and probably other mechanics) have us switch hands between different counts.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Oct 21, 2022 at 02:36pm.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2022, 03:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Thirty-five years ago I had a coach challenge me on a ten second violation. It was after a made free throw and he claimed that only seven seconds passed based on the game clock. I figured that the game clock maybe starting late combined with maybe a slightly fast count by me could account for three seconds difference, so I dismissed his complaint...
If you knew you had a "slightly fast count", why would you dismiss his complaint?
Old Fri Oct 21, 2022, 03:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Three Seconds !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
If you knew you had a "slightly fast count", why would you dismiss his complaint?
Quote:
... combined ...
Because I was 100% sure that my visible count wasn't a full three seconds too fast. One full second over ten visible counts? Sure. Two seconds? Maybe. Three seconds? No way.

Also, as I time my count several times each season, I tend to be a slightly slow counter, never a fast counter.

Figured (incorrectly) that the timekeeper started the game clock late.

I was wrong, my error was for a completely different reason having nothing to do with a fast count or a slow starting game clock that I only realized well after the game.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Oct 21, 2022 at 04:21pm.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2022, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

From my observations over the years, I think about 5% of officials have a "fast" count (meaning at least 2 seconds shorter), and about 35% of officials have a "slow" count (meaning at least 2 seconds longer), and the rest are right in the middle.

We have one local official with a reputation for quick-counting in the backcourt (to the tune of about 6-7 seconds instead of 10), and nearly every game I've observed the coaches will remind him throughout the game.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2022, 01:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ancient Times ...

Quote:

When I first started officiating forty-plus years ago one of our rural high schools still had one of these on the wall, it wasn't used, it was only there for historical display purposes.

Old Tue Oct 25, 2022, 03:14pm
Administrator

Quote:

When I first started officiating forty-plus years ago one of our rural high schools still had one of these on the wall, it wasn't used, it was only there for historical display purposes.

When I played JrHS basketball (1963-64 and 1964-65) our JrHS was originally our ES, JrHS and HS when it was built in the pre-WPA days before The Great Depression. The gym had a a stage on one side and a balcony on the other side that was so low that if one shot from the corner one risked getting block by the balcony. The court length was less that 84 feet so it had the 40ft lines maked from each End Line and since there considerable less that 3 feet outside all of the Boundary Lines on all 4 sides, a 3ft dashed line was marked all around the court to mark the Boundary Lines during Throw-ins. And while the Free Throw lane was 12 feet wide it still had the key-hole Free Throw lane marked on it with the H and V marked on the first Lane Spaces from the very "Ancient Days" of basketball.

And yes, the court had a game clock, like in Billy's picture, that was used for our games. And the gym was still used ocassionaly for JrHS games when I started officiating in 1971-72 and I officiated a few games on the court.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Nov 02, 2022, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlasherZ View Post
From my observations over the years, I think about 5% of officials have a "fast" count (meaning at least 2 seconds shorter), and about 35% of officials have a "slow" count (meaning at least 2 seconds longer), and the rest are right in the middle.

We have one local official with a reputation for quick-counting in the backcourt (to the tune of about 6-7 seconds instead of 10), and nearly every game I've observed the coaches will remind him throughout the game.
In my experience, about 90% are slow, most 20-30% slow but some so slow that they're on a pace to actually get close to 20 seconds. I've rarely seen anyone too fast.