View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 05, 2022, 01:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Refresher Exam ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
... pass with at least an 85% a 200 question true/false exam ...
Members of my local IAABO board have to take (and often pass) the open book IAABO Refresher Exam every year to get game assignments.

Early in my career, members individually took the open book exam at home and then were encouraged to attend an "informal" study group (often with pizza and beer) to compare answers. I often attended two different groups, my hometown group, and my Catholic middle school group. While such groups were officially encouraged, it seems that there was often one in each group that had access to the answer sheet, which some might consider to be cheating. Once the internet and email came along this "cheating" became much more common, and literally everybody always passed the test.

Knowing how much "cheating" was occurring, we tried something different. Dozens of board sponsored "official" study groups were formed, the leader had the answer sheet, and we went over all the questions and answers together in each group. One had to individually take the open book test and attend (sign in sheets) one of these study groups to get game assignments. The was no requirement to pass the test. Not attending a study group meant no game assignments.

Very recently we've tried a new model. Take the open book test individually at home, send one's answers to our local board website, test is corrected, and if one passes the test, one gets game assignments.

Fail the test and one has to attend a special "remedial" meeting to go over all the question and answers. Attend that "remedial" meeting and one gets game assignments.

Fail the test and not attend the "remedial" meeting means that one doesn't get any game assignments.

Certainly not a difficult path to get game assignments.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 06, 2022 at 12:02pm.