The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 12, 2001, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ref42
After reading the reaction with regards to the IAABO software provided in a recent post, it appears to me that there are some individuals out there that have negative conotations to the IAABO organization. Why is this?

For me, yes I am an IAABO member, but that's because my state (Maryland) for all intent purposes is dominated by IAABO boards and if want to officiate basketball, you join an IAABO board. So for me there was no other way. Now granted the IAABO offices are located in Germantown, MD and it would seem rather odd if the state wasn't majority IAABO. There has been one break-off board recently in the Southern Maryland area which broke off of an existing IAABO board and is not IAABO, and there is also the Baltimore area girls ball done by a non-IAABO board, but other than that, IAABO controls the State of Maryland. Let me also note both Washington, DC and Northern Virginia are both IAABO areas.

For others, what is the benefit of not being IAABO or maybe you have experienced both by being IAABO and Not IAABO and can eloborate on your expeirence?

To me it doesn't matter if you are or not, I would just like to know the differences and the benefits from the differences as here in Maryland we really do not know anything else? Thanks in advance for your replies!
Old Sun Aug 12, 2001, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

I'm in the opposite boat. I've never been associated with IAABo, so therefore, I don't know what the advantages are. In NC, we follow the policies, testing, and rating systems that are instituted by the NCHSAA, the same body that governs high school athletic programs in our state. We have one organization. I think that's an advantage.

On the other side, I would like to know why you guys who are IAABO or FIBA are so damn sensitive? Every time Mark Padgett cracks a joke about one of these organizations, somebody gets offended. I assume that's what you were speaking of, since that's was the only remark that I read in the other post that gave a "negative conotation." The original poster just wanted to posted his displeasure about the software he purchased but couldn't make work.

Give us break, fellas, and stop being so defensive.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Aug 12, 2001, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ref42
Not Sensitve, Just Want To Know Differences?

Look, Mark's comments are the first I've ever heard and I just want to know what other officials experiences are who aren't IAABO.

Please, I could care less if you bash or not, it's not going to change what I do!

So Btkball Ref get off your almighty high horse and join us down here with guys who are just trying to find out what it is like in other places!
Old Sun Aug 12, 2001, 06:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I agree with TH on this one.

IAABO members seem to be a bit sensitive. I have had several IAABO members get upset when people challenge their practices. I am under the impression that on the East side of this country is much more influenced by IAABO. If you live in my parts, nobody really cares about IAABO or having a membership in IAABO has little to no influence on your career or getting games of any kind. You can be a member out here, but I have never seen any benefit other than having a membership and giving extra money.

I have even had IAABO members bring up what Board I belong to, like it proves my or anyone elses ability. These guys are a bit sensitive.
Old Sun Aug 12, 2001, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Alot of us in Ga are taking a wait and see attitude like NC
we used to have are training and testing done by the state
but the state has now contracted IAABO to do the training and testing. We will see what they offer us as officials in these areas.
Old Sun Aug 12, 2001, 07:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

As Harry Caray used to say, "Holy Cowpie." Guys, it is true that I bash FEEBLE all the time, but that's because I resent some Euro-international body of brie-eating bureaucrats taking a posture that they know better how to administer and determine rules for a great American game like basketball. Those foreign organizations should stick to soccer (no - it's not football) and leave our sports to us. You may think it's presumptious of the NBA to call their playoff winning team the "World Champions", but they are the world champs of that particular game played under those particular rules.

Does this make me a jingoistic, iconoclastic "ugly American"? Guilty on both counts - I'm an American, and my first wife will vouch for the ugly part.

As to IAABO (I Am A Blind Official) - that's not a put down of the organization, it's just a joke on their acronym. I read another post a while ago on this (or some other) board about a referee giving that response to a coach who questioned his "sight" while wearing that patch and thought it was really funny. That's all. Frankly, I have no strong feelings one way or another about IAABO. I am not a member, have never been a member, but I do know guys who are and who think it's a good organization.

In my recent post, all I was doing was making a point about some software having a name that might be subject to trademark or copyright infringement. The software isn't even made by IAABO. They are only a distributor.

One of the reasons I participate on this board and no longer post to the "other" one, is because the tone on this one is of a much higher level. There are virtually no personal attacks, and everyone seems to have a decent, not mean spirited, sense of humor. I hope it stays that way. I do use humor a lot, but I try never to make it personal. I'm not directing my FEEBLE humor against refs in decent countries like Canada and Australia, but against the concept of that organization trying to tell us what's best for us in our own game. And yes - I do know that Dr. Naismith actually was Canadian.

But FEEBLE representing they know better how to play basketball than us is like Julia Child telling Betty Crocker how to bake chocolate chip cookies.

[Edited by Mark Padgett on Aug 12th, 2001 at 07:46 PM]
Old Sun Aug 12, 2001, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Not Sensitve, Just Want To Know Differences?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref42
Look, Mark's comments are the first I've ever heard and I just want to know what other officials experiences are who aren't IAABO.

Please, I could care less if you bash or not, it's not going to change what I do!

So Btkball Ref get off your almighty high horse and join us down here with guys who are just trying to find out what it is like in other places!
See what I mean?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Padgett
As to IAABO (I Am A Blind Official) - that's not a put down of the organization, it's just a joke on their acronym. [QUOTE]

Exactly, yet somebody with their feelings on their sleeve takes it that "some individuals out there that have negative conotations to the IAABO organization." Personally Mark, I enjoy your humor. If we can't joke with and about ourselves and each other, who can we joke with?

Sad day.

Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I was in Colorado where IAABO is the sole orginization supplying officials for basketball in the state. At a state directors meeting last year, there was a discussion about leaving the organzation and it almost came to blows. There are high feelings on both sides. I do not know what happened so I am not going to say more. I just know that being that we are in Colorado and most of the organization is on the East coast, there is a feeling of alienation. We only see the National Organization during the rules clinic when Jacky Loube or someone of his stature gives us a visit. We get a newsletter and some of our training material comes from IAABO. Camps are run by local college officials, not IAABO, and we rarely see any support but we see all our dues leaving the area.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2001, 02:00pm
Administrator

Membership in IAABO.

I know that this posting is somewhat late but I would like to add my two cents to this discussion.

The question is: “Why should a basketball official belong to IAABO?” And my answer is: “Why not?”

I will answer the question using my profession (which is engineering) as analogy. But first I should admit that I am a member of IAABO and a member of three of its national committees.

I have a bachelor’s degree in engineering with a double major in civil engineering (specializing in structural engineering) and mechanical engineering (specializing in engineering mechanics). I am and engineer first, a civil engineer second, and a structural engineer third because this is the area in which I practice my profession. In the engineering profession there are two types of organizations to which an engineer can belong: “professional” and “technical.” I belong to both types of engineering organizations. I belong to the National Association of Professional Engineers, this a professional association that addresses matters that affect all engineers regardless of their discipline. I also belong to the American Society of Civil Engineers, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and the Structural Engineers Association of Southern California. These are technical associations that address matters that affect engineers that practice in civil, mechanical, and structural engineering respectively. Within these three associations are smaller associations for engineers that practice in specialized areas of the discipline. Chemical, electrical, and industrial engineers also have their own technical organizations.

Do all engineers belong to these organizations? No. Why do engineers belong to them? There are many reasons. The most common reason is the educational information that one can derive from the organizationsÂ’ publications and research. The second reason is probably networking; the is no profession that is not immune to politics. Some engineers go further and just holding membership for the two aforementioned reasons. These engineers take a very active role in the activities of the organizations to which they belong. Not all engineers have to desire to do this and it is not necessary to stay a member in good standing.

How does this relate to basketball officiating in particular and sports officiating in general? The answer is very simple: the same reasons engineers belong to professional and technical organizations apply to basketball officials and all sports officials.

All sports officials should belong to the three professional organizations here in the United States: NASO, NFHS, and Officiating.com. One does not have to take an active role in the activities of these organization, but the education value of membership in these organizations is priceless. As far as belonging to IAABO, the first question that I hear from officials who are not members and live in non-IAABO states is: Will it get me more games? If that is the only reason you want to belong to IAABO, then maybe you should consider retiring from officiating basketball.

IAABO is a technical organization for basketball officials. Not only do I belong to IAABO, I also belong to four other local basketball officials associations. All for of these LOAÂ’s are OhioHSAA sanctioned and their primary purpose is educational. How active am I in these LOAÂ’s? Fair question.

I have been a member of the LOA in my home town for 31 years and have not attended a meeting in over 15 years, I maintain membership for sentimental reasons. I am a member of one of the two IAABO BoardÂ’s in Ohio even though I do not belong in its geographical area because I now many members and where I live there is no IAABO Board. The other two LOAÂ’s I belong to are in my geographical area; one I am very active in as rules interpreter and officiating instructor, and the other one I am a member just to be a member in it.

IAABO conducts the best teaching camps in the United States and works very closely with the NFHS in the education of basketball officials. Yes, in some parts of the United States and Canada, one must be a member of IAABO to be assigned games, but this is no different that being registered with oneÂ’s high school athletic association, but the primary focus of IAABO is the education and training of basketball officials. IAABO is the largest basketball officials association in the world and its educational materials are second to none. Membership will not get you more games but the educational value of belonging to IAABO is worth the membership dues. I hope that everyone who is not a member of IAABO would check out its website: http://www.IAABO.org, and try membership in the organization for a year or two.

For all of you who have had the patience to slog through my muses I thank you and hope that you have a good weekend.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Aug 18, 2001, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down IAABO in Ga.

IAABO actually did the state clinics in Ga. last year. This is what was suppose to be the new training and improved training in Ga. Didn't work that way, throughout the day most of the clinicians kept using the phrase " I haven't done HS games in awhile, I am use to the college mechanics" or "can't remember how they do it in HS", "not sure what the HS rule is". I aspire to do college ball and I can tell you this if I am ever going to teach a HS mechanic and rules class I will be sure to know what I am talking about. VERY disapointed in the intructions and my time that was given to this day of training. A true waste of time. So if this is what IAABO brings, forget about it.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2001, 04:52pm
Administrator

Self, I am sorry that you had a disappointing experience with IAABO. I suggest that you contact Ray McClure in Georgia, and Jackie Loube at IAABO Headquarters in Germantown, Maryland.

I know that Ray would be very interested in hearing from you before IAABO has its Fall Rules Interpreters Conference. I do not wish to put words in Ray's mouth but I can assure you that he will take steps to make sure that something like that does not happen again. Ray is IAABO's point man in Georgia and is a very serious about H.S. mechanics, not college mechanics, being used in H.S. games.

Since I cannot email you directly through the Forum please feel free to contact me via email through the Forum.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Aug 18, 2001, 09:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb That is all fine and dandy but...........

living here in Illinois, IAABO means nothing in the bigger picture. We are already licenced with the NF if we have a state Illinois High School Association membership. I agree with belonging to NASO or Officiating.com if you choose, but IAABO is not for everyone. Not because it is not a good organization, because it means little to many. There are IAABO members, but they do very little to the overall picture in basketball officiating in the area I live. And where I used to live, it meant absolutely nothing to be a member. Now, I am under the impression that IAABO is very strong in the Eastern part of the country, but in the Midwest or the Chicago area, it means little or nothing. I personally do not know members that they think being a member is much more benificial than being apart of a local association. As a matter of fact, many college officials that I know, have no affiliation with IAABO. So maybe IAABO is strong in many areas, but in my area, I really do not see the point.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 18, 2001, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Back East . . .

I don't know about other states, but in Connecticut, all high school officiating assignments (with a few exceptions - mainly the prep schools) are done through local IAABO boards (I think there are 6 in the state). Bottom line, if you're an official in Conn., you're also a "blind official."
Old Sat Aug 18, 2001, 10:10pm
Administrator

It appears that JRutledge missed the point of my posting. Belonging to IAABO is not about getting games. It is just like any technical organization in anyother profession. It exists so that officials can become better officials. Not all civil engineers belong to the ASCE and not all medical doctors belong to the AMA but the vast majority do because they benefit in many intangible and tangible ways. Remember, IAABO is primary purpose to the education and training of basketball officials and not to assign games.

Yes, IAABO is strong the the Northeast and it does assign games and you must belong to IAABO to get assigned games, but that is no different than being registered by your state high school athletic association to be able to officiate in your state.

Belonging to IAABO in the Northeast is not unlike belonging to the Southern California Basketball Officials Assn. in the Los Angeles area. The CIF does not register officials, and you have to belong to the SCBOA to be able to officate in California.

I think that I have spoke enough. Check out the IAABO website: http://www.IAABO.org, and join it for a year. The worst that can happen is that you will get a tax deduction for the year.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Aug 18, 2001, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
It appears that JRutledge missed the point of my posting. Belonging to IAABO is not about getting games.
I have to disagree with you Mark. There's absolutely nothing in Rut's post "about getting games." Perhaps you should read it again. I believe he's just trying to say that there's no IAABO presence in his area. In fact, he said it several times.

All kidding aside, it's no different in my area. The IAABO means absolutley nothing here. There is one assigner who books games at some of the local military installations. He bids on the leagues on a contract basis. He requires his officials to join the IAABO before he will book them. But he's also notorious for sending poorly trained officials to work adult games. He's also notorious for skimming a lot of the game fee money off the top. This guy isn't interested in training. He's just trying to make a buck and he's using the IAABO name to do it. People like that give the IAABO a bad name, when they are the only presence in the area.