View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 12, 2001, 07:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

As Harry Caray used to say, "Holy Cowpie." Guys, it is true that I bash FEEBLE all the time, but that's because I resent some Euro-international body of brie-eating bureaucrats taking a posture that they know better how to administer and determine rules for a great American game like basketball. Those foreign organizations should stick to soccer (no - it's not football) and leave our sports to us. You may think it's presumptious of the NBA to call their playoff winning team the "World Champions", but they are the world champs of that particular game played under those particular rules.

Does this make me a jingoistic, iconoclastic "ugly American"? Guilty on both counts - I'm an American, and my first wife will vouch for the ugly part.

As to IAABO (I Am A Blind Official) - that's not a put down of the organization, it's just a joke on their acronym. I read another post a while ago on this (or some other) board about a referee giving that response to a coach who questioned his "sight" while wearing that patch and thought it was really funny. That's all. Frankly, I have no strong feelings one way or another about IAABO. I am not a member, have never been a member, but I do know guys who are and who think it's a good organization.

In my recent post, all I was doing was making a point about some software having a name that might be subject to trademark or copyright infringement. The software isn't even made by IAABO. They are only a distributor.

One of the reasons I participate on this board and no longer post to the "other" one, is because the tone on this one is of a much higher level. There are virtually no personal attacks, and everyone seems to have a decent, not mean spirited, sense of humor. I hope it stays that way. I do use humor a lot, but I try never to make it personal. I'm not directing my FEEBLE humor against refs in decent countries like Canada and Australia, but against the concept of that organization trying to tell us what's best for us in our own game. And yes - I do know that Dr. Naismith actually was Canadian.

But FEEBLE representing they know better how to play basketball than us is like Julia Child telling Betty Crocker how to bake chocolate chip cookies.

[Edited by Mark Padgett on Aug 12th, 2001 at 07:46 PM]