View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 18, 2001, 02:00pm
Administrator

Membership in IAABO.

I know that this posting is somewhat late but I would like to add my two cents to this discussion.

The question is: “Why should a basketball official belong to IAABO?” And my answer is: “Why not?”

I will answer the question using my profession (which is engineering) as analogy. But first I should admit that I am a member of IAABO and a member of three of its national committees.

I have a bachelor’s degree in engineering with a double major in civil engineering (specializing in structural engineering) and mechanical engineering (specializing in engineering mechanics). I am and engineer first, a civil engineer second, and a structural engineer third because this is the area in which I practice my profession. In the engineering profession there are two types of organizations to which an engineer can belong: “professional” and “technical.” I belong to both types of engineering organizations. I belong to the National Association of Professional Engineers, this a professional association that addresses matters that affect all engineers regardless of their discipline. I also belong to the American Society of Civil Engineers, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and the Structural Engineers Association of Southern California. These are technical associations that address matters that affect engineers that practice in civil, mechanical, and structural engineering respectively. Within these three associations are smaller associations for engineers that practice in specialized areas of the discipline. Chemical, electrical, and industrial engineers also have their own technical organizations.

Do all engineers belong to these organizations? No. Why do engineers belong to them? There are many reasons. The most common reason is the educational information that one can derive from the organizations’ publications and research. The second reason is probably networking; the is no profession that is not immune to politics. Some engineers go further and just holding membership for the two aforementioned reasons. These engineers take a very active role in the activities of the organizations to which they belong. Not all engineers have to desire to do this and it is not necessary to stay a member in good standing.

How does this relate to basketball officiating in particular and sports officiating in general? The answer is very simple: the same reasons engineers belong to professional and technical organizations apply to basketball officials and all sports officials.

All sports officials should belong to the three professional organizations here in the United States: NASO, NFHS, and Officiating.com. One does not have to take an active role in the activities of these organization, but the education value of membership in these organizations is priceless. As far as belonging to IAABO, the first question that I hear from officials who are not members and live in non-IAABO states is: Will it get me more games? If that is the only reason you want to belong to IAABO, then maybe you should consider retiring from officiating basketball.

IAABO is a technical organization for basketball officials. Not only do I belong to IAABO, I also belong to four other local basketball officials associations. All for of these LOA’s are OhioHSAA sanctioned and their primary purpose is educational. How active am I in these LOA’s? Fair question.

I have been a member of the LOA in my home town for 31 years and have not attended a meeting in over 15 years, I maintain membership for sentimental reasons. I am a member of one of the two IAABO Board’s in Ohio even though I do not belong in its geographical area because I now many members and where I live there is no IAABO Board. The other two LOA’s I belong to are in my geographical area; one I am very active in as rules interpreter and officiating instructor, and the other one I am a member just to be a member in it.

IAABO conducts the best teaching camps in the United States and works very closely with the NFHS in the education of basketball officials. Yes, in some parts of the United States and Canada, one must be a member of IAABO to be assigned games, but this is no different that being registered with one’s high school athletic association, but the primary focus of IAABO is the education and training of basketball officials. IAABO is the largest basketball officials association in the world and its educational materials are second to none. Membership will not get you more games but the educational value of belonging to IAABO is worth the membership dues. I hope that everyone who is not a member of IAABO would check out its website: http://www.IAABO.org, and try membership in the organization for a year or two.

For all of you who have had the patience to slog through my muses I thank you and hope that you have a good weekend.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio