Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 27, 2021, 01:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Trips And Tripping ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
There's a difference between being tripped, and tripping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
... the foot, torso or leg ... was there first and was maintained in normal position (no obtrusive extension) ... "Didn't you see that tripping foul?!" ... not tripped, he just tripped on the defender who was already there first ... any player has a right to a spot on the floor provided he gets there first ...
2004-05 NFHS Casebook: 10.6.1 Situation E: B1 attempts to steal the ball from stationary A1 who is holding the ball. B1 misses the ball and falls to the floor. In dribbling away, A1 contacts B1's leg, loses control of the ball and falls to the floor. Ruling: No infraction or foul has occurred and play continues. Unless B1 made an effort to trip or block A1, he/she is entitled to a position on the court even if it is momentarily lying on the floor after falling down.

4-23-1: Guarding is the act of legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent ... Every player is entitled to a spot on the playing court provided such player gets there first without illegally contacting an opponent. A player who extends an arm, shoulder, hip or leg into the path of an opponent is not considered to have a legal position if contact occurs.

4-37-3: Every player is entitled to a spot on the playing court, provided the player gets there first without illegally contacting an opponent.

10-7-1: A player must not hold, push, charge, trip or impede the progress of an opponent by extending arm(s), shoulder(s), hip(s) or knee(s), or by bending his/her body into other than a normal position; nor use any rough tactics.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 27, 2021 at 02:18pm.
Old Mon Dec 27, 2021, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Regarding the subject/content of the video that originated this Thread: I have a Legal dribble established by the player after recovering the ball, so "no-call". Thanks.
Old Mon Dec 27, 2021, 01:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dribble ...

Quote:
I have a Legal dribble ...
I believe that all would agree that the dribble was legal.

After gaining possession of a loose ball with knees on the floor, one can legally start a dribble (and one can then legally continue to dribble and stand up), pass, shoot, or request a timeout.

The debate is about a travel, not about possible illegal dribble. Some believe that the player, preceding the start of the dribble, was attempting to get up, others believe that the player, preceding the start of the dribble, was not attempting to get up.

It's a subjective judgement call.

4-44-5-B: Travel: A player holding the ball: After gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand.

4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without violating? RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or request a time-out. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball. (4-44-5b)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 27, 2021 at 02:22pm.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2021, 12:34am
C'mon man!!

What is defined as rolling over?

We were debating this tonight. How do you judge rolling over either from the stomach or the back? Is it from stomach to back or back to stomach that is illegal? To the side? So many degrees? We've read and found all of the rules and case book plays previously mentioned but can't conclude about the rolling over part.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2021, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
We were debating this tonight. How do you judge rolling over either from the stomach or the back? Is it from stomach to back or back to stomach that is illegal? To the side? So many degrees? We've read and found all of the rules and case book plays previously mentioned but can't conclude about the rolling over part.
It's not defined in the books or interps.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2021, 10:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

Protector ...

Quote:
How do you judge rolling over either from the stomach or the back? Is it from stomach to back or back to stomach that is illegal? To the side? So many degrees? We've read and found all of the rules and case book plays previously mentioned but can't conclude about the rolling over part.
Quote:
What does "roll over" mean? 90 degrees? 180 degrees? 360 degrees? It's a good thing that I carry a protector with the extra whistle in my pocket.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 28, 2021 at 11:16am.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2021, 10:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

Look That Up In Your Funk And Wagnalls ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It's not defined in the books or interps.
... and Funk and Wagnalls weren't very helpful: To turn around, or partly turn around.

Yeah. Thank you Funk. Thank you Wagnalls. For nothing.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 28, 2021 at 11:15am.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2021, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Well regarding whether or not a travel occurs is left to the sagacity of the referee who has primary coverage of the play.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2021, 04:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Boo The Umpire ...

Quote:
Well regarding whether or not a travel occurs is left to the sagacity of the referee who has primary coverage of the play.
Or the umpire, or the other umpire.

Sagacity?

Don't use a five-dollar word when a fifty-cent word will do.” (Mark Twain)

Samuel Clemens used to live right up the street from me.

I mean, from where I live now.

I'm not that old, but Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. is.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 28, 2021 at 04:30pm.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2021, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Kansas Ref…..ignore BillyMac’s critique. I, for one, appreciate the profundity of your word selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 29, 2021, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It isn't defined, but I'm OK with a player settling from this/her side to back or stomach....about a 1/4 turn. But, I'm not OK with going from left side to right side...anything nearing 180degrees is, to me, turning over.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2021, 01:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Words Matter ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Kansas Ref…..ignore BillyMac’s critique. I, for one, appreciate the profundity of your word selection.
Already sent Kansas Ref a personal message saying the same.

I actually used the word "musings" for the first time in my life on the Forum yesterday. Had to double check the spelling and to make sure it meant what I wanted it to mean. I did not do very well on the vocabulary part of my high school SAT. My English teacher, Mr. Baumgartner, was very disappointed.

Profundity? Really?

Old Wed Dec 29, 2021, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Sagacious: definition 2 obsolete : keen in sense perception. [merriam-webster.com, accessed 12/29/21]
Old Wed Dec 29, 2021, 05:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Obsolete ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
Sagacious: definition 2 obsolete : keen in sense perception. [merriam-webster.com, accessed 12/29/21]
Is Mike Goodwin implying that Kansas Ref is obsolete?

Old Wed Dec 29, 2021, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is Mike Goodwin implying that Kansas Ref is obsolete?
Nope. Just the word.