The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 12:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You didn't say anything qualifying about anybody else, you said it straight up (see below, assuming "they" means the NFHS).

I do not think that anybody is getting up here, rather, in my opinion, it's an "attempt to get up", as the rule states.

Once one deems her actions as an attempt to get up, it's illegal, don't have to wait for the "get up" to be completed.

Others may deem her actions not an attempt to get up.

That's why it's a subjective judgement call, one of dozens of subjective judgement calls that we are expected to make in a typical basketball game.
There is nothing in the rule that says that coming to your knees is illegal or an attempt to get up. They address what you do on your back, but never address what that means. So again this is legal until stated otherwise and your stating otherwise does not and will not change my mind. So please stop trying.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 12:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Deemed ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There is nothing in the rule that says that coming to your knees is illegal or an attempt to get up.
Agree. But anything deemed by an official to be an attempt to get up is illegal.

Quote:
Unless they clarify what it means to get up that will be a hole in the rule.
Agree.

With her entire body flat on the floor on her stomach, she puts her left hand firmly on the floor with a bent elbow and straightens her arm, pushing upward, causing her upper legs, entire torso, including hips, head, and both arms to all move upward in unison, eventually getting to her knees.

Is that an attempt to get up?

Some (JRutledge and Raymond), with good reason, say no.

I, and the official in the video, with good reason, say yes.

It's a subjective judgement call.

Is it an attempt to get up even before she gets to her knees?

It's a subjective judgement call.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 22, 2021 at 01:03pm.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 12:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Agree. But anything deemed by an official to be an attempt to get up is illegal.
If you say so.

People are allowed to read the interpretations and decide what it means. This to me is not an attempt to get up and in my game, I am not calling a violation. I have seen this before and never called a violation. You have to do more than come to your knees. And if the NF wants more specifics, they can provide them. We do not need your approval for that position. I actually live closer to the NF office than you do. This is not a big issue, but you always make it bigger and debate with yourself while telling others what they should feel at the same time. I do not care what your opinion on the ruling is. I would not ask for clarification on this play. I gave my opinion, stand by it. If they want to come to both your knees to be a violation, state that in the next interpretation.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 12:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Citations ...

Quote:
... anything deemed by an official to be an attempt to get up is illegal.
Quote:
If you say so.
I do, but more importantly, the rule book and casebook interpretation say so.

4-44-5-B: A player holding the ball: After gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand.

4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without violating? RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or request a time-out. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball. (4-44-5b)

Quote:
This to me is not an attempt to get up and in my game, I am not calling a violation.
And if I was lucky enough to be your partner, and I happened to see the play, I wouldn't question your call. Not at all. In fact, if it happened again in our game I would try to mirror your call. It's a subjective judgement call.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 22, 2021 at 01:04pm.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 01:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

The rulebook ad casebook does not specifically address this issue. So again, your personal thought process does not matter here. I do not care what you think about this. I was not asking. Read this thoroughly and look for contradictions. There was non. Coming to year knees and on both knees is not attempting to get up. You are on both knees. No reference you have made changes to that. Because if you are still on your knees, you did not get up. You work 2 man in your area, why would I care what you think about this?

Peace
Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 01:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Words Matter ...

Quote:
The rulebook and casebook does not specifically address this issue.
Quote:
Unless they clarify what it means to get up that will be a hole in the rule.
They haven't, and it's still a "hole in the rule".

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 22, 2021 at 01:38pm.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 01:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
They haven't, and it's still a" hole in the rule".
Then stop trying to tell me what to think about this. I stated my position and stood by it. I was not asking for your help to figure the rest out.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 01:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

An Attempt To Get Up ...

Quote:
Because if you are still on your knees, you did not get up.
Agree. She didn't actually get up. She was unsuccessfully attempting to get up.

Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 01:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Agree. She didn't actually get up. She was unsuccessfully attempting to get up.
Now you can move on and stop reposting shit we already read and already considered in this conversation that was not even your question.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 01:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hole In The Rule ...

Quote:
I stated my position and stood by it.
So you still believe that it's a "hole in the rule"?

Good, because so do I.

Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 01:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Overstated ...

Quote:
Appreciate this. Maybe I was getting too wound up. Sorry. No offense intended. Just a simple difference of opinion possibly overstated.

Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 01:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Great Video ...

I've offered this video to Greg Austin for his Better Official You Tube channel.

He is considering reviewing it on his live "Five Play Friday" presentation on Friday, December 24, 2021, 10:00 a.m EST.

He should have a few dozen basketball officials from around the world on his live broadcast offering their opinions (Zoochy and Mike Goodwin should be there).

He mentioned the video today on his Wednesday live "Rule Questions" broadcast (no video, just a description), and there were few opinions offered with mixed opinions offered.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ABetterOfficial/featured

Again, Remington, great video. Thanks.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 22, 2021 at 02:05pm.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

I can't see the video all that well, but I'll give my impression of it just the same. The player in white secures the ball from a prone position and "retracts" her body such that she is on both knees. Legal so far.

This part isn't clear on my screen, but if the player lifted her left knee before she started her dribble, and that is why the official ruled a traveling violation, then I agree with him.

I use 4.44.5 Situation C for support. Lifting the knee before starting a dribble (or moving the whole left leg in the case of this video), was an attempt to get up (rise to one's feet, i.e., stand), as evidenced by the fact that she did stand up just about the time the official ruled a violation.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2021, 04:04am
Official Forum Member

This play is traveling.

This case plays details what the player may do.
4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without violating? RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or request a time-out. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball. (4-44-5b)
The case says they may sit up if they're on their back. It doesn't say they can rise to their knees if they're on their belly. If that were to be legal, it would be listed. Further, the travel rule is one that is based on listing what is legal and what is not specified as legal isn't.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2021, 09:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

Pivot Knee ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
... the player lifted her left knee ...
Ah, it's the old lift the pivot knee trick. Gets them every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
I use 4.44.5 Situation C for support.
4.44.5 SITUATION C: A1 secures possession of the ball with one knee in contact with the floor. May A1 assume a standing position without committing a traveling violation? RULING: It depends on what A1 does. If A1 attempts to stand up while holding the ball, a traveling violation occurs. However, if A1 starts a dribble and then rises, no violation has occurred. Also, A1 could pass, try for goal or request a time-out from that position.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 23, 2021 at 09:57am.