The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Covid

Does your State require full vaccination in order for you to qualify to officiate post season play?
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 10:47am
Stubborn Member

Haven't heard about that here in Ohio.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Not in ohio but theres people in the ohaaa admin that would require it in a heartbeat if we didnt have an official shortage.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 03:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Omicron ...

Connecticut interscholastic athletic officials must sign sworn affidavits (honor system, nobody's checking vaccination cards) that they are fully vaccinated, or complete the necessary paperwork with the Connecticut state association (CIAC) that they have a medical contraindication or firmly held religious or spiritual belief. Unvaccinated officials must undergo weekly COVID testing.

Officials, players, coaches, and fans will all wear masks at all times, however, enforcement for players will not be the responsibility of the officials this year, but the responsibility of game management. Masks will be required, regardless of vaccination status.

Unlimited numbers of masked fans will be allowed. Locker room availability for officials to change and shower will be decided by individual school systems, so we’ve been instructed to show up in uniform.

Full regular basketball season, out of state trips are allowed, and a state tournament is planned.

Protocols above will be evaluated on December 23, 2021, and there may be changes (vaccination status, masks, etc.) if appropriate or necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
... an official shortage.
At this time, of our 270 local members, 55 have chosen not to officiate due to COVID.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 16, 2021 at 01:48pm.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't work under those conditions either
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 04:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

COVID Protocols ...

Quote:
I wouldn't work under those conditions either
Too strict, or not strict enough?

Some are floating the idea that after December 23, 2021, only unvaccinated players (and officials) will have to wear masks.

I'm all for masks, but due to privacy concerns, I'm for everybody continuing to wear masks. Private businesses are free to do whatever they want to do in terms of "mask discrimination", but schools are government controlled public places, no need to put a "label" on a minor that says "not vaccinated".

Adolescents have enough to deal with, even without COVID, no need for unneeded additional stress.

Now the leper on whom the sore is, his clothes shall be torn and his head bare; and he shall cover his mustache, and cry, ‘Unclean! Unclean!’ He shall be unclean. All the days he has the sore he shall be unclean. He is unclean, and he shall dwell alone; his dwelling shall be outside the camp. (Leviticus 13:45-46)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 16, 2021 at 12:52pm.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

They're utterly useless. Its feel-goodism at best, unfortunately its most likely simple harassment by those that really don't have a clue or just like the power trip they've been on for almost two years.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 05:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They're utterly useless. Its feel-goodism at best, unfortunately its most likely simple harassment by those that really don't have a clue or just like the power trip they've been on for almost two years.
Yeah, and from experience I can tell you it’s a double standard for officials and players/coaches wearing their masks properly. Players wear them like chin straps and nobody bats an eye, but when officials do that they get turned in. Exactly the reason I told my high school assigner I won’t be officiating in a mask this year and that if he wants to use me, I will only go to schools without such mandates.

Fortunately none of my college leagues are requiring masks this year although there is one league where we are supposed to put them on when not actively officiating (it’s laughably stupid that I have to pull my gaiter up during a timeout when I’m 25 feet away from the team huddle).

It’s totally theatrical most of these restrictions.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 08:56am
Courageous When Prudent

HS: all have been consistent in requiring/reminding fans to wear masks and for officials when not on the court

College: only have had one school that has been strict in requiring us to wear masks while not on the court.

Have had multiple college supervisors (and one commissioner) remind us we should be masking whenever we engage the table personnel and if we have lengthy engagement with coaches.

Have not experienced any power trips, unreasonable requests, harassment or any other hyperbolic situations. Mostly adults being adults, like life should be.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 10:50am
Do not give a damn!!

No. But I work a D2 conference that does. If you are not vaccinated there, you cannot work. High schools do not even require testing, but we have to wear masks all the time for the games.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 11:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Mask Of The Red Death (Edgar Allan Poe, 1842) ...

Quote:
They're utterly useless.
It's a respiratory droplet infection.

While the efficiency of various types of masks can be debated, there can be no debate that wearing a mask is better than not wearing a mask, for both the mask wearer (protecting one's self, and others) and for those that don't wear a mask in the presence of others who are masked who may have COVID, either symptomatic, or asymptomatic.

Mask wearing is a simple, common sense, and low-cost strategy to mitigate COVID transmission, with few serious side effects.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8084286/

Would mask wearing have prevented 800,000 deaths? No it wouldn't, but even a decrease of 1,000 deaths would have made mask wearing worth it.

Doctors wear masks during surgery for a reason and it's not to look cool.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 16, 2021 at 06:40pm.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Too strict, or not strict enough?

Some are floating the idea that after December 23, ,2021, only unvaccinated players (and officials) will have to wear masks.
I would love to know how they plan on figuring that out!
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

While the efficiency of various types of masks can be debated, there can be no debate that wearing a mask is better than not wearing a mask, for both the mask wearer (protecting one's self, and others) and for those that don't wear a mask in the presence of others who may have COVID, either symptomatic or asymptomatic and are masked.

Mask wearing is a simple, common sense, and low-cost strategy to mitigate COVID transmission, with few serious side effects.

Surgeons don't wear gaiters!
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 11:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

Proof Of Vaccination ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
I would love to know how they plan on figuring that out!
While HIPAA only prohibits healthcare providers and healthcare businesses from disclosing protected information to anyone other than a patient without their consent, school systems are not covered by the law, but are covered by ordinary, common sense, privacy laws concerning minors.

School systems can require, by state law, proof of various vaccinations (Diphtheria, Tetanus, & Pertussis, Polio, Chickenpox, Measles, Mumps, & Rubella, Hepatitis B, and Hepatitis A) for attendance, with all allowing medical exemptions, and some allowing religious exemptions.

It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to make COVID vaccinations or masks required for interscholastic sports. Connecticut interscholastic sports already require proof of a recent physical exam in order to participate.

However, for various reasons, I'm fairly certain that this idea won't fly. Maybe voluntary mask wearing, or everybody wearing masks, but nothing beyond that.

Quote:
Private businesses are free to do whatever they want to do in terms of "mask discrimination", but schools are government controlled public places, no need to put a "label" on a minor that says "not vaccinated". Adolescents have enough to deal with, even without COVID, no need for unneeded additional stress.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 17, 2021 at 02:40pm.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

While the efficiency of various types of masks can be debated, there can be no debate that wearing a mask is better than not wearing a mask, for both the mask wearer (protecting one's self, and others) and for those that don't wear a mask in the presence of others who may have COVID, either symptomatic, or asymptomatic, and are masked.

Would mask wearing have prevented 800,000 deaths? No it wouldn't, but even a decrease of 1,000 deaths would have made mask wearing worth it.

Surgeons wear surgical masks to keep from spitting their gum or sneezing into someones open body cavity.

Absolutely no study has shown that surgical masks do anyrhing for respiratory viruses. Real-time data has shown that masks in highly compliant countries and states where massks were mandated did little to reduce cases. Even fitted n95 have limited effectiveness and need to be changed often