The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 19, 2021, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Poor spectator behavior in HS sports: yahoo article

Is anyone out there noticing instances of what this article details?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fans-retu...143702988.html
Old Sun Dec 19, 2021, 08:21am
Stubborn Member

Thankfully I haven't had to deal with anything like this.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Dec 19, 2021, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Poor spectator behavior in HS sports: yahoo article

Not directly, though by habit I tune out crowd noise, so I’m not blind to the fact that it happens, maybe even in my games. I saw an article just the other day that mentioned how our state association is concerned about an uptick in this stuff.

“The Pennsylvania Interscholastic Hockey League later banned students at Armstrong High School from attending any varsity hockey games for the rest of the season, and now requires the school to assign an administrator or faculty member to attend each home and away game to monitor fans for inappropriate behavior.”

Supervision and adult presence. Gee, what a concept! Also, these days there’s video of almost every game out there. How about having some of those cameras trained on spectators, while we’re at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Dec 19, 2021, 11:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Horrible ...

N words at a football game this season directed from home spectators of a mostly white suburban Catholic school at visiting black cheerleaders from an urban school. Offenders couldn't be identified after an investigation.

Basketball game two seasons ago (not mine). Fans were more subtle. Spectators of a mostly white suburban (rich town) school (who were getting beaten at home) yelled "SAT" at visitors from a mostly black urban school. Stupid fans, visitors were from a highly respected magnet school with a history of getting almost all graduates into college.

Unfortunately, this is only the tip of the iceberg. If this is what we're seeing in scholastic sports, then it must be going on elsewhere. The kids have to learn racism from somebody (parents, social media, etc.), they're not born racists.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 19, 2021 at 01:07pm.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2021, 11:43am
Stubborn Member

The adults are the bigger problem. They're either teaching this crap or not doing anything to stop it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Dec 19, 2021, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

https://www.chron.com/opinion/articl...e-16680409.php

It's just awful out there. We're going to hell in a handbasket.

Quote:
They've been sucker-punched, stalked and threatened. On weekends, mobs of adults shriek and bellow at them, questioning their eyesight, intelligence and humanity.

One veteran described "a cauldron of yelling and hysteria." For all the abuse, referees working D.C.-area youth sports net about $50 a game, job listings show. No wonder they're fleeing.

Nearly half of the referees who officiate in my son's hockey league are gone and games are being canceled every weekend. His team has been able to play just two of this season's five scheduled games so far. This is happening across the nation in all youth sports. The Friday night lights of high school football games are now Thursdays and Saturdays, too - to spread the refs out. Instead of the usual three refs on a soccer pitch, some leagues are making due with two, or even one.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2021, 02:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Verbally Accosted ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwking View Post
It's just awful out there. We're going to hell in a handbasket.
Had two of our guys verbally accosted in a high school parking lot after an ordinary unremarkable game. School was contacted, and a police report was filed.

Officials should always leave the game site together. Even in this day in age of fuel injected, computer controlled, reliable cars, when everyone has a cell phone, and many have some type of roadside assistance, it’s not fun sitting in a cold car, in a lonely parking lot, with a dead battery, or a flat tire, waiting for help to arrive.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 19, 2021 at 03:03pm.