The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 18, 2021, 03:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Same here in Connecticut. Last year officials were the "Mask Police".

JRutledge: Do the coaches, site directors, and athletic directors in Indiana and Illinois do good job of making sure that the players are wearing masks properly because game management is doing a poor job of doing that so far this season in Connecticut.
When did I say that the mask requirement was the same in both Indiana and Illinois?

Peace
Old Sat Dec 18, 2021, 03:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Game Management Support ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We were specifically asked to keep that with the school and coaches. We play no role in that even though the participants are to be masked.
Quote:
Do the coaches, site directors, and athletic directors in Indiana and Illinois do good job of making sure that the players are wearing masks properly because game management is doing a poor job of doing that so far this season in Connecticut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
When did I say that the mask requirement was the same in both Indiana and Illinois?
You didn't, but you didn't differentiate states/protocols either ("we") and just left us guessing which one you were talking about. I was just asking how much support you were getting from game management in both states, even if the protocols are different? Feel free to differentiate states and protocols if you decide to reply.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 18, 2021 at 06:02pm.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2021, 10:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You didn't, but you didn't differentiate states/protocols either ("we") and just left us guessing which one you were talking about. I was just asking how much support you were getting from game management in both states, even if the protocols are different? Feel free to differentiate states and protocols if you decide to reply.
Because it was irrelevant. We were not asked to tell players what do do with masks. If you want to know there was no requirement in Indiana at all to wear masks and still we were not asked to manage that. Illinois masks are required, but again we are asked not to manage that. Do care what game management supports, not our job from the state level to tell kids what to do. That is all on the coaches and teams. If they do not wear a mask properly, we say nothing.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 19, 2021, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah, my numbers were faulty (I almost changed it to 10,000 in my original post).

But with 800,000 deaths and millions on ventilators, hospitalized, or just very sick, what would be the "tipping point"? 10,000 dead? 50,000 dead? 100,000 dead? For a simple, common sense, and low-cost strategy to mitigate COVID transmission, with few serious side effects?
I don't know the number. I'm sure it would be different for everyone.

We could have saved the equivalent of all of the deaths over the same time period by eliminating smoking and there is no redeeming element to smoking and eliminating it doesn't cause harm to anyone.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2021, 11:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

Free Country ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
We could have saved the equivalent of all of the deaths over the same time period by eliminating smoking and there is no redeeming element to smoking and eliminating it doesn't cause harm to anyone.
States, and the federal government, have tried written warnings, advertising restrictions, excessive excise taxes, location restrictions (restaurants, car rentals, hotels, etc.), age restrictions, suing tobacco companies, etc., but it's a "free country".

Remember when all cars had ash trays and cigarette lighters?

I've been watching black and white Perry Mason (if one likes court shows, it's as good as Law and Order) reruns on cable lately, and everybody is smoking all of the time, everybody just lights up. Watch network television today and it would appear that nobody is a smoker.

I've always maintained that some believe that everyone is very intelligent and can make all of their own good choices in all matters (health, finances, consumerism, etc.), while others believe that everyone is really stupid and the government needs to make most choices for them, but the reality is actually somewhere in between those two extremes. But where? Aye, there's the rub.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 19, 2021 at 02:05pm.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2021, 02:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Caffeine And Nicotine ...

Quote:
... eliminating it doesn't cause harm to anyone.
My Dad would beg to differ with you. Eliminating smoking negatively affected my Dad's quality of life. Claimed he picked up the habit getting free cigarettes from the Army during WWII. For the sake of his grandchildren's health, after forty-five years of smoking, he gave it up cold turkey. But to his dying day (not lung cancer) he said he always missed the cigarette he had with his cup of coffee every night after dinner. After a hard day at the office, it was the favorite part of his day. Caffeine and nicotine. That was good living. It didn't get any better than that for him. The simple pleasures of life.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 20, 2021 at 10:59am.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2021, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My Dad would beg to differ with you. Eliminating smoking negatively affected my Dad's quality of life. For the sake of his grandchildren's health, after forty-five years of smoking, he gave it up cold turkey. But to his dying day (not lung cancer) he said he always missed the cigarette he had with his cup of coffee every night after dinner. After a hard day at the office, it was the favorite part of his day. Caffeine and nicotine. That was good living. It didn't get any better than that for him. The simple pleasures of life.
And it makes no difference if he had smoked weed, shot heroin, taken quaaludes, or downed a couple of shots of whiskey after dinner for his enjoyment and quality of life… He would have felt the same way about it.

Your story just demonstrates that people will do as they desire in the self-harm category with the timeframe of their upbringing and those societal norms having a large influence upon which personal vices are chosen.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2021, 03:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My Dad would beg to differ with you. Eliminating smoking negatively affected my Dad's quality of life. For the sake of his grandchildren's health, after forty-five years of smoking, he gave it up cold turkey. But to his dying day (not lung cancer) he said he always missed the cigarette he had with his cup of coffee every night after dinner. After a hard day at the office, it was the favorite part of his day. Caffeine and nicotine. That was good living. It didn't get any better than that for him. The simple pleasures of life.
You just described drug addiction.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2021, 10:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Addiction ...

Quote:
You just described drug addiction.
Yes I did, and purposely without mentioning the word addiction.

I'm not a smoker, but some have told me that the combination of nicotine and alcohol is similar to the feelings my Dad had about nicotine and caffeine. I have a friend who only smokes when drinking. Tells me that he has no desire to smoke any other time.

I was addicted to caffeine (five mugs (not cups), black coffee, no sugar, by early afternoon). Gave it up cold turkey (coffee, tea, cola) after I had my heart attack. Had the jitters for several weeks afterward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Your story just demonstrates that people will do as they desire in the self-harm category with the time frame of their upbringing and those societal norms having a large influence upon which personal vices are chosen.
Can eating high cholesterol foods, high sugar content foods, or high caloric foods be considered an addiction if one is on the road to a heart attack, stroke, or diabetes?

Does the government, or a health insurance company, have the right to limit one's food intake?

Can one be addicted to social media?

Is there a "runner's high"?

Is sex addiction real?

Enough, let's get back to basketball.

I've got a game this afternoon. New (middle) school and new partner for me. Have heard that it's great middle school league. Long drive, but I'm looking forward to it. I will be double masking (had a few partners do this last year, before vaccinations) to prepare for our family's Christmas celebration.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 20, 2021 at 01:27pm.