Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 03:01pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
where are the moderators?
Thank you. I get enough of that crap elsewhere, can't we just talk about officiating?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 03:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Across The Board ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
OK, let’s try to get back on track here. It just seems ridiculous to me that a state association can require vaccinations for officials, as independent contractors, but not for players and other participants.
Our state association (CIAC) based it's protocols (see post #4) in full coordination with the State of Connecticut Public Health Department. Officials, players, coaches, and fans are under the same protocols. Same thing last year, across the board, but with slightly different protocols than this year. My local interpreter actually had a seat at the table when the CIAC (we have a CIAC Officials Association) came up with the protocols, both years. We were kept in the loop all along the way.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 16, 2021 at 03:51pm.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Thank you. I get enough of that crap elsewhere, can't we just talk about officiating?

Please see #30
I didn't intend for it to go there
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 03:28pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Please see #30

I didn't intend for it to go there
I'm not calling anyone out, nor upset at anyone. I just feel things are starting to get heated so we need to move on.

Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 03:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Post #30 ...

Quote:
Please see #30 ...
One of my favorite posts in this thread.

Nice to get back to our local programming, i.e. basketball officiating.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 16, 2021 at 03:32pm.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 03:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 03:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Working Hard Or Hardly Working ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
... an official shortage.
Last year (before vaccination) 40% of our local guys chose not to be assigned games due to COVID.

This year (with vaccinations) 20% of our local guys chose not to be assigned games due to COVID.

We also had a ton of guys retire over that time period, with many saying that while they were thinking about retiring, COVID was the tipping point that pushed their decisions.

Over the past few years our local membership has gone from 320 members (active and inactive) to 270 members (active and inactive), baby boomers now getting too old to run up and down the court, pulling up roots and heading south for warmer temperatures, cheaper taxes, early bird dinner specials, and pickle ball courts.

Trainee classes have been in single digits over two consecutive years.

Still covering the same 70 high schools and many middle schools.

Every year officials get a year older and the schools stay the same age. Wait ... I'm being told ... Players? ... Really? Never mind.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 16, 2021 at 06:45pm.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 04:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I absolutely refuse to be the mask police in games I officiate (of course, I won’t work anywhere I have to officiate in a mask anymore). It’s bad enough that we have to enforce fashion police rules.
We were specifically asked to keep that with the school and coaches. We play no role in that even though the participants are to be masked.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 05:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just The Facts Ma'am ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We were specifically asked to keep that with the school and coaches. We play no role in that even though the participants are to be masked.
Same here in Connecticut. Last year officials were the "Mask Police".

JRutledge: Do the coaches, site directors, and athletic directors in Indiana and Illinois do good job of making sure that the players are wearing masks properly because game management is doing a poor job of doing that so far this season in Connecticut.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 16, 2021 at 06:16pm.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2021, 04:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Would mask wearing have prevented 800,000 deaths? No it wouldn't, but even a decrease of 1,000 deaths would have made mask wearing worth it.
I would disagree....not for ~0.1% reduction. The burden being imposed upon millions (even billions) is just too great for that small impact.

That said, I believe masks are much more effective than that in stopping the ejection of potentially virus carrying droplets into the air. It really isn't that hard to understand. I still hate wearing it, but you really can't argue against the fact that they stop people from spraying stuff into the air. It is basically like covering your nose and mouth when you sneeze/cough. Anyone arguing that masks do nothing must also be arguing that no one ever needs to cover their mouth/nose when they sneeze and should be ok with someone sneezing on them.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2021, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
And that’s exactly the way it should be and the way it is this year in my area. Unfortunately last year we were tasked with being the mask police which was completely ridiculous and next to impossible.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2021, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

“If it saves just one life” is quite literally the worst argument ever for imposing a certain restriction.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2021, 11:59am
Esteemed Forum Member

Numbers ...

Quote:
Would mask wearing have prevented 800,000 deaths? No it wouldn't, but even a decrease of 1,000 deaths would have made mask wearing worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I would disagree....not for ~0.1% reduction. The burden being imposed upon millions (even billions) is just too great for that small impact.
Yeah, my numbers were faulty (I almost changed it to 10,000 in my original post).

But with 800,000 deaths and millions on ventilators, hospitalized, or just very sick, what would be the "tipping point"? 10,000 dead? 50,000 dead? 100,000 dead? For a simple, common sense, and low-cost strategy to mitigate COVID transmission, with few serious side effects?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 18, 2021 at 05:35pm.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2021, 12:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Make It Personal ...

Quote:
“If it saves just one life” is quite literally the worst argument ever for imposing a certain restriction.
In general, I agree with you, but it depends on the restriction, and I doubt that this young lady, her parents, and siblings, would agree with you.

It's very different when it's made personal.

Quote:
At the middle school that I taught at, such a mandatory physical exam discovered a previously undetected major heart problem in one of my students who was trying out for cheerleading. Parents told me that it saved her life.
As the basketball coach, I had parents (some with no medical insurance) complain every year about mandatory annual physical exams for students who simply wanted to try out for the team, with no guarantee to actually make the team.

Back in the late 1960's, when I was in high school, we got free annual pre-tryout physical exams in the nurses office by a school appointed doctor.

Remember a friend of mine's older brother having a previously undetected major heart problem discovered during such an exam, preventing him from trying out for the football team.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 18, 2021 at 02:45pm.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2021, 12:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Knee Jerk Reaction ...

Quote:
Agree that it's often stated (see Connecticut's Ethan's Law) as a knee jerk reaction, but I'm pretty sure that most supporters of a restriction do not mean it literally, but figuratively, and that the restriction would actually save many lives. But how many? And at what cost? Aye, there's the rub.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 18, 2021 at 02:27pm.