View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 09, 2021, 12:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Up The Down Staircase (1967) ...

I struggle with the wording, and legal rationales, of this paragraph every year, often thinking about discarding it completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... When an airborne player keeps control of an attempted shot that is blocked, is unable to release the ball, and returns to the floor with it, that player has not traveled; it is a held ball. If, in a similar situation, the defender simply touches the ball, the airborne shooter maintains control of the ball, chooses not to release the ball, and returns to the floor holding the ball, it’s a traveling violation. If, in another similar situation, the shooter loses control of the ball because of the block, then this is simply a blocked shot. It is not a violation for that player to start a dribble at that point. When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and touches the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor. When an airborne shooter fumbles the ball (while still in the air) instead of releasing the ball on a try, drops the ball, and then returns to the floor and secures possession of the ball, it’s a traveling violation. Also in this situation, if the fumbled ball is touched by another player before the airborne shooter touches it, it’s not a violation for that player to take possession of the ball and that player can legally start a dribble.
Any suggestions for improvement?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 09, 2021 at 12:48pm.